Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Most Important title today

Pre-1990 topics only.

Most Important title today

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/08/06 Tue 6:00 am

Two ways to look at this question, which you think is either the top title in wrestling today or which is your personal prefernce
JustS2pendous

Postby screwloose » 2002/08/06 Tue 10:24 am

there are so many ways to go here. anyone would be happy to hold any of these titles. as far as the wwe titles go, they only really matter here in the states. an iwgp championship matters to everyone everywhere so i picked that, even though the triple crown and other such titles mean a lot too.
"uh, you're a tool?" rvd to big show after show wanted to know why he didn't get the ic title shot
screwloose

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/08/06 Tue 11:17 am

Fair point, I think that the Triple Crown means more for a few reasons.
1) the workrate is usual higher in the title matches
2) never really had poor workers holding the belt unlike Norton, Yasuda
3) The three belts look really good together and their respective lineage makes the title more historic.
JustS2pendous

Good points, but I hafta go with the WWE UnDisputed

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/08/06 Tue 12:17 pm

The japanese World titles are among the mpost prestigious in wrestling, but Id say to the casual fans of Europe and North America, they wouldn't mean as much to them when compared to the WWE UnDisputed World Championship. The majority of the hardcore fans in North America would also probably say the WWE UnDisputed World title is the most prestigious in wrestling as well. Most fans worldwide think of WWE has "wrestling", period. You can't beat worldwide recognition like that. I think so, and as a personal preference, if ya grew up watching wrestling in the states, you most likely grew up wanting to hold the WWF World Championship;-) Also, with the lineage of the WWF World, WCW World, and WCW World International Championships directly imbedded into the title, I think the WWE UnDisputed World Championship is just "the" title in wrestling today.
Joe P.
DaKrow52

Postby Rex Idol » 2002/08/06 Tue 1:29 pm

I agree with JustS2pendous for the reasons he listed.
Rex Idol

I have to ditto the ...

Postby Mutoh-Mania » 2002/08/06 Tue 2:07 pm

post by JustS2pendous.
When in doubt...shoot
Mutoh-Mania

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/08/06 Tue 5:42 pm

Like I said in my original post, it is a question as top which is either the most important/significant/prestigous or which is a personal favourite. Both views for me fall on the Triple Crown. Prestige has already been established in earlier post, importance can really only be take into context of the region it's defended in, ie; Triple Crown in Japan cannot be compare to NWA World in the States to see which is more important.

In the states obviously the WWE is the most important, significant and prestigous(although the NWA can make a case for the prestige too). In Japan, the GHC belt cannot be a serious contender just yet(espcially with Ogawa holding it) and I personally rate the Triple Crown higher cos it always the focal point of AJPW. In New Japan, too often the IWGP strap is either an afterthought, or a tool to markert the company in MMA. By the same token I never rated the ECW World title too highly because it was never the main point of the show fo whatever reason.

Being a huge fan of tag team wrestling I was tempted to vote for the AJPW Unified belts but Kronic soon put paid to that. X Division, Juniorheavy and Cruiserweight belts also rate highly for me but fall down on the importance and significance areas
JustS2pendous

Triple Crown vs WWE Undisputed

Postby Mojo » 2002/08/09 Fri 12:11 pm

I think the big difference between the TC and the WWE Titles is the way the titles have been booked respectively over the years. In the last couple of years the WWE Title has been subjected to alot of hotshot booking, especially in the months following WM18. That, and alot of the time the title takes a back seat to a personal feud, so that the title becomes a prop rather than the main focus.

The TC has been treated with far more respect throughout its history. TC matches are expected to be the best on the card, and that is usually the case. The ceremony and tradition that goes along with winning the TC puts the focus on the title, and becomes the goal of every wrestler. That's why I voted for the Triple Crown.
Mojo

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/08/09 Fri 5:04 pm

I haven't voted yet, but someone please help me to clarify this. Is being "important" different from being "prestigeous"? I think it is, but I can't explain well enough with my limited skill in this language called Ingles.

For the prestige, I would say that's TC with two reasons:
1) All Japan has been trying its best to keep the championship matches and the title iteself meaningful.
2) One of the three titles is the International Heavyweight Title, a wrestling treasure of our country. The past champs include: Thesz, Rikidozan, Baba, Bobo Brazil, Kiniski, Dory Jr., Brody, Tsuruta, Hansen, Tenryu, Gordy, Doc, Kawada, Kobashi, Vader, Mutoh... To me, this looks much better than the list of the past WWWEF champs.

However, when I hear about the importance, I tend to think about NWA World Heavyweight Title. It's no longer as prestigeous as it was in the past, but what used to be the world heavyweight title still exists after all the messes in the NWA. Whatever has happened to the organization, there are still so many people who still want to associate themselves with this title. Even WWF has tried so hard to claim the lienage of WCW title to the championship Thesz held. As WWE virtually has a monopoly and many people are looking for alternative, the role of NWA TNA and the title itself is very important in the industry.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby BENJII » 2002/08/09 Fri 6:20 pm

Well I'd like to proudly say that I'm the only one who's voted for the Euro-Continental title.

As the World Title situation is looking to go stale, it is THIS belt that is surely important to grab the attention of the wrestling fans like myself and everyone on this board. With the talent that's being used for that very title, it's one of the only reasons I'm being drawn back to watching the WWE on my television screen (that and HBK).

If the WWE wants people tuning in to the last hour of their show, then this title had better stay fresh and heavily fought for. For a secondary title it has a lot riding on it. And seeing as the WWE Undisputed Title is getting a little more predicatble, then Vinne Mac knows that this is title where you'll see plausable wildcards challenging for it.

I hope that makes sense. Like Hisa commented on, a lot of people are talking about prestiege, but this is the title I feel is very important, especially for the development of the WWE and it's future talents in the pipeline. :)
BENJII

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/08/21 Wed 8:35 am

The I.C Title rulz big time!!! Always has always will, when I got into wrestling 12 years ago the I.C belt was a title that would be defended every night! while the "world title" would only make appearance at PPV's! Even though things have changed a little that belt is still the one! (Even though the old classic shape is 100% better than the new attitude shape!)
Carter Jay

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/08/21 Wed 8:40 am

Good point Carter Jay but even though the IC has usually had the better workers holding it, it's never stole the show has it? With the exeption of the Micheals-Ramon ladder matches
JustS2pendous

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/08/21 Wed 9:23 am

Yeah you've got a fair point there champ! Still again I think the thing that attracts me to the I.C belt is as you say the work rate! Plus it's stooped in prestige & history and it's a step up from doing the J.O.B. to the big show!!!! :D (Sorry had to get a pop in there!!!)
Carter Jay

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/08/21 Wed 1:51 pm

Originally posted by JustS2pendous
Good point Carter Jay but even though the IC has usually had the better workers holding it, it's never stole the show has it? With the exeption of the Micheals-Ramon ladder matches

never stole the show dude:p ? What about Savage/Steamboat from Wrestlemania III, probably the biggest even in North American wrestling history??? Hulk/Andre sold that show, but Savage/Steamboat stole it. Yes, the Wrestlemania X ladder match did as well. You can even make a case for Summerslam 88- most NA wrestling fans have the image of the Ultimate Warrior coming out and absolutely TRASHING the Honky Tonk Man, finally ending 18 months of the most annoying heel-cheat tactics ever and sending the fans into an absolute frenzy, and most people remember that rather than the Mega Powers vs. Mega Bucks main event. Same for SUmmerslam 89- more people remember Warrior beating Rude in the WM-5 rematch than the Hogan/Beefcake-Savage/Zeus main event. As stupid as Chyna is, most people remember SUrvivor Series 99 for her title match with Jericho than the Big Show winning the World Championship. The IC title has stolen the show a few times, and has always been "the workrate championship" for WWFE.

Joe P.
DaKrow52

IC Title

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/08/21 Wed 1:55 pm

Also, SummerSlam '91 is almost always remembered for two things- Bret hart winning his first Intercontinental Championsip, and the LOD winning the WWF World Tag Titles. Summerslam '92 was built almost entirely around the Bulldog/Hart IC title match (it main-evented, IIRC). There was also an In Your House that was "stolen" by a ***** Shawn/Jarrett IC title match.
Joe P.
DaKrow52

Next

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General