Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

British Title Update

British Title Update

Postby Mikey Freedom » 2002/04/11 Thu 5:27 pm

Sweet Saraya is currently being recognized as the undisputed British Women's Champion, as she currently holds the three major women's titles in the UK...TWA, All-Star,and WAW

The UK Pitbulls I believe are also close to being British Tag Champs, as they hold the FWA, WAW, AIWF, K-Star, Brawl and PWA Tag Team Titles
Mikey Freedom

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/04/24 Wed 10:40 pm

Thanks. Little more recent histories on those titles?
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Uncle Buck » 2002/05/23 Thu 9:12 pm

The recent title lineages in the UK can be found on The Wrestling Alliances (TWA) website <a href='http://www.thewrestlingalliance.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.thewrestlingalliance.co.uk</a>

They are the only promotion in the UK who stuck to the title lineages after British wrestling was removed from television. A number of new promotions have arrived on the British scene like FWA and WAW who have there own champions, but TWA is the only UK promotion that still recognises the original championships.

All Star dont recognise any regular champions - tehre champions are billed depending who is on the card - and they are still advertising Yokozuna on tehre posters.

Also it is the TWA who is spearheaded a tournament to crown a Universal British Champion that will be held next month. Details can be found at the above website, and FWA, WAW, All Star, and Premiere are all sending there champions into the tournament.

With regards to Sweet Saraya, she is now officially the British Universal Ladies Champion recognised by all, the men's title will be crowned in June. TWA have put a lot of time and effort in keeping the various title active and have often been ignored by forums such as this because people question who owns the titles?

The british scene for many years had the same champions in all promotions, it was only after they disappeared from TV that certain companies billed who evr was on the card. TWA prided itseldf since 1986 as the only UK promotion who billed the official titles. Technically they belonged to all British Promotions. Recently Jonny storm's British welterweight title was defended at an FWA show - proving again that in th UK the British titles are still recognised and the TWA has been trying to keep them alive, but sites ignoring them and there history do not help matters. How people outside the UK can say what titles are valid or not is funny, because fans in the uk still recognise them, promotions in the uK still recognise them, but sites like this do not?
Uncle Buck

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/05/24 Fri 8:57 am

Originally posted by Uncle Buck
How people outside the UK can say what titles are valid or not is funny, because fans in the uk still recognise them, promotions in the uK still recognise them, but sites like this do not?

You know why? Nobody ever explained to me well enough until you did. Also, I had several people objecting to have TWA titles as the same titles as the old ones. I can follow the British scene ONLY from the people in Britain who visit my site, and if those people have different views and opinions, I don't know what to do. I'm kinda lost about this issue.

I would like to hear from other people in the UK as well.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Don't forget...

Postby Hijo de Carlos » 2002/05/24 Fri 9:05 am

.....SUWA is the British Junior Heavyweight champ! ;)
Like comics? Then check out http://www.1000AD.tk
Hijo de Carlos

British Titles

Postby Uncle Buck » 2002/05/24 Fri 9:05 am

I agree with the points you say, but if you visit the site you will see the only titles they have managed to keep going on a regular basis have been

British Heavyweight title (tournament to solidify all versions of British title upcoming)
British Welterweight Tile(although recently revived)
British Woman's title (which is now recognised by all promotions)
British Middleweight title
British Lightweight title

Also the Europeaan Heavyweight and Ladies titles are still going, and are often defended on TWA show even though they don't "own them"

I would be interested in other peoples views also, please could you post them here so I can clear the points up.

at the least you could recognise the TWA lineages aunder your British section and say that in your opion they may/may not be official
Uncle Buck

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/09/10 Tue 8:08 am

Finally, I've updated the UK section.

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/10 Tue 8:16 am

All these titles maean very little to me, the only UK based titles of importance or signifcance are the NWA-Uk belts.
JustS2pendous

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/09/10 Tue 9:19 am

They mean very little to me too!!!! As you say Justs2pendous the only title that I personally think means anything is the NWA-UK Belts!!!! :)
Carter Jay

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/10 Tue 3:38 pm

Is there a difference between a British title and a UK title?

There may well be. Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland (I believe), whereas the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but information comes from the CIA World Factbook.
ElGringo

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/10 Tue 6:40 pm

I think what myself and my esteemed friend Carter "The Unstopable Studmuffin" Jay are saying is that the NWA-UK belts are the important ones because of the quality of company, champions, challengers and stability.

The first and last time I'm ever putting you over in this forum CJ!
JustS2pendous

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/09/11 Wed 4:21 am

Thanx for that Champ! Considering the amount of ribbing and the amount of times you've buried me it was about time dude!

I shall repay the compliament one day..................maybe! :D
Carter Jay

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/11 Wed 4:39 am

Well enjoy it while it lasted. As for the British wrestling scene, we seem to have created some excellent talent who would easily thrive in Japan or Ring Of Honour(and are in some cases), but I think the British wrestling scene will never regain it's former glory with some stable promotions running regular show's with TV coverage. NWA-Uk and the FWA have produced some great stars though, keep your eyes on Doug Williams, Johnny Storm, Jody Fleish, Johnny Moss and Matthew Wand will all be big stars in the future.
JustS2pendous

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/15 Sun 10:56 am

Do British promotions promote nationally or in regions of the country?

And, I checked the TWA website, why is it that the European title seems to be there mid-card belt while the British one is their top belt... that's like the NWA having the National title above the North American title.
ElGringo

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/15 Sun 10:59 am

And, Hijo del Carlos, the belt SUWA has is the British Commonwealth Junior title; that's a belt fought over the former British Empire nations, like Canada, Austrlalia, South Africa and New Zeland (those are the ones with wrestling in, anyway). Why it's recognised by Toryumon is anyone's guess.
ElGringo

Next

Return to Europe