Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Possible updates to titles in World Class..

Post-1990 topics should be posted under "Everything else".

Possible updates to titles in World Class..

Postby cman73 » 2017/09/19 Tue 11:33 am

let me try again, my last post got lost.

Starting in 1978 For the Texas Heavyweight Title, I'm not sure if Gino and David had any title switches in October, the only listing I have is 10/16/78 in Fort Worth, but David beats Gino based on my results. The only November matches I have is on 11/5 in Dallas, and 11/27 in Fort Worth, but do not have a result, just listing.

However, on 12/17/78 Gino did beat David for the Texas Title. It was a Mask vs Title match, as Gino had his head shaved in Houston, on 11/10/78, I believe.

Then, on 2/4/79 in Dallas, David beat Gino for the Texas Title.

Fast forward to 1982. The only Lawton, OK listing I have for Bill Irwin and Al Madril is on 9/1/82, and Bill Irwin did beat Al Madril, however, not sure if that was for the title.

On 3/4/83 Jimmy Garvin beat David Von Erich for the Texas Title.

Then on 8/1/83 David Von Erich beat Jimmy Garvin to win the held up Texas Title.

For the Texas Tag Team Title, I have Gino Hernandez and Bruiser Brody defeating the Von Erichs on 8/14/78 in Fort Worth.

For the American Tag Team Titles, your 10/15/78 date is correct for the Von Erichs/Funk match, which saw the Von Erichs win the American Tag Titles.

On 9/7/81, Tim Brooks and Armand Hussein won the American Tag Titles in Fort Worth, from Al Madril and Brian Blair.

The 10/25/81 listing you have, is probably for the World Tag Team Titles, not the American Tag. Kerry Von Erich and Terry Orndorff defeated Chan Chung and The Great Kabuki that day, in Dallas.

For the World Tag Team Titles, I have Kevin and David Von Erich winning the titles on 2/22/81 in Dallas. I don't know when Kabuki and Chan Chung won the titles, of if they were awarded. All the results I have of the 2 teams facing, either the Von Erichs won, or it was a draw (probably DDQ, or something like that). Kevin wen to Georgia in August of 81, which makes me think they were possibly awarded after that?

Then on 10/25/81 Kerry Von Erich and Terry Orndorff won the World Tag Titles from Kabuki and Chan Chung, in Dallas.

Either on 12/7/81, or 12/28/81, in Fort Worth, Kerry Von Erich and Al Madril beat Bill Irwin and Frank Dusek for the World Tag Titles. Not sure which date is correct, but they wrestled each other, and Von Erich and Madril won each time.
cman73

Re: Possible updates to titles in World Class..

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2017/10/03 Tue 9:50 pm

WOW. Great finds. Although Dallas is one of few territories where wrestling results continued to be covered by newspapers after the mid-70s, coverage seemed to be inconsistent. Still better than many other territories where the results were no longer reported from the 70s.

I always appreciate your researches.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby cman73 » 2017/10/05 Thu 9:35 am

You're welcome! All credit goes to Jason Campbell's ProWrestlingHistory.com website, where all the newsletters are being kept. Also to Eloise Mascorro, who contributed those Texas results in the newsletters, for us to enjoy.

I wish I had the extra time, living in the Austin, TX area, I would love to go down to San Antonio, and find results (if available) from the first part of 1978. Have always been curious to the timeline of Southwest Championship Wrestling, how it started, first television show, etc. Would love to piece together the southern part of Texas and the results at that time.
cman73

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2017/10/05 Thu 6:43 pm

Hisaharu Tanabe

Return to Other Regional Territories: pre-1990s