Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Alabama and Continental Title possible update?

Post-1990 topics should be posted under "Everything else".

Alabama and Continental Title possible update?

Postby cman73 » 2016/10/11 Tue 6:21 pm

Benjamin Straughn has posted a lot of Southeastern Championship Wrestling shows on youtube recently, and finally caught one of the shows. During the 9/15/84 show, it was announced that Porkchop Cash won the Alabama Title from Boris Zhukov in Pensacola, FL. I haven't watched the 9/8/84 show yet, but if Zhukov was still champ then, my assumption, if Pensacola was still run on Sunday's, then 9/9/84 may be the date of the title change.

Also, in the 9/15/84 episode, Bob Armstrong was the Continental Champ, and was going to face Randy Rose on the 9/17/84 Birmingham card. Again, I haven't watched the past shows, but I don't know when, or if Mr. Wrestling II won the title in August, and if he did, if it was returned back to Armstrong on some type of technicality. Gonna watch some more episodes this week, and see how things progress.
cman73

Re: Alabama and Continental Title possible update?

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2016/10/18 Tue 10:27 am

Thanks. Great finds. I gotta check those videos out too.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/06 Tue 1:05 pm

According to the 2/7/81 episode, Ron Fuller announced that he is vacating the Southeastern Title, due to injuries sustained in the tag match on 1/20/81 in Mobile, AL, with he and Jimmy Golden vs Ron Bass and Don Bass. Jimmy Golden had turned on Fuller and unmasked him.
cman73

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/06 Tue 1:21 pm

Also, according to the 2/7/81 episode, for the card on 2/9/81 in Birmingham, it's advertising Ron Bass as the new Southeastern Champ.
cman73

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/06 Tue 2:54 pm

According to the 2/14/81 episode, Ken Lucas is now the Southeastern Champion. Doesn't say where or when he won it from Ron Bass.
cman73

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/06 Tue 4:19 pm

According to the 2/21/81 episode, Mr. Saito is again the Alabama Champ. Not sure if they gave the title back after it was held up on the 2/7/81 show, or beat Bob Armstrong for it somewhere in between.

Also, on the 2/21/81 episode, Paul Orndorff and Norvel Austin won the Southeastern Tag Team Titles from Randy Rose and Dennis Condrey. However, after the match, Condrey and Rose attacked Austin and piledrove him on a steel chair. He was replaced in a six man tag match on 2/23/81 in Birmingham by Jerry Stubbs, so, the titles were most likely vacant and the tournament on 3/1/81 in Pensacola, was probably for the vacant titles. Unfortunately, do not see a 2/28/81 show listed on youtube, so, not sure what really took place.
cman73

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/08 Thu 4:54 pm

According to the 4/25/81 episode, Mr. Saito won the Alabama Title from Paul Orndorff. The prior week, on the 4/18/81 show, Paul Orndorff was still the champ.

Sometime between the 4/25/81 episode and the 5/2/81 episode, Bob and Brad Armstrong won the Southeastern Tag Team Titles, but after the match, Don Carson, along with Condrey and Rose, injured Bob, and on TV, the titles were deemed to be vacant.

Also, it doesn't appear that Jerry Stubbs won the United States Junior Title on 4/27/81. Based on the TV shows during the time frame, and on the 5/11/81 Birmingham card, Lane is billed as US Jr Champ.

On the 5/2/81 TV show, they discussed the Southeastern Tag Team Titles Tournament. Apparently, the belts are still held up. The Finals of the tournament were Brad Armstrong and the Shadow vs Randy Rose and Dennis Condrey. With interference from Don Carson and Bob Armstrong, both teams were apparently disqualified, with the belts still vacant. On the 5/11/81 Birmingham card, the winners between Bob and Brad Armstrong vs Condrey and Rose will be the champs.

on the 5/23/81 show (5/16 is not available), but Bob and Brad Armstrong and now the Southeastern Tag Team champs. I don't know if they won them on the 5/11/81 or 5/18/81 Birmingham card, but Condrey and Rose refer to Birmingham as the place the Armstrongs won the belts.

on the 5/30/81 episode, it is announced that Mr. Olympia won the US Junior Title, but he relinquished it on the TV show, due to being over the weight limit, and title is awarded back to Stan Lane.

Of course, the frustrating thing in all of this, are these shows are taped out of Dothan, but the Birmingham market gets the show a week later. Also, I don't know how many weeks of TV are taped in the studio. Really makes it difficult to narrow down exact dates of title changes. :wallbang:
cman73

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2016/12/09 Fri 10:44 am

Thanks again for the info.

More results from the territory were recently posted the Sports & Wrestling Forum. Between those results and the info you provided, many missing dates and locations were filled.
http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/40346.html

For example:
On the 5/2/81 TV show, they discussed the Southeastern Tag Team Titles Tournament. Apparently, the belts are still held up. The Finals of the tournament were Brad Armstrong and the Shadow vs Randy Rose and Dennis Condrey. With interference from Don Carson and Bob Armstrong, both teams were apparently disqualified, with the belts still vacant. On the 5/11/81 Birmingham card, the winners between Bob and Brad Armstrong vs Condrey and Rose will be the champs.

The post on S&W Forum has the Armstrongs beating Condrey & Rose on 5/11.

Also, from those posts, it looks like TV taping was basically taking place in Dothan every week.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby cman73 » 2016/12/13 Tue 2:10 pm

on the 6/27/81 TV show, they discussed Brad Armstrong winning the US Junior Title in Mobile on 6/23/81. However, due to a match later in the evening, he was injured, and on the TV show, Charlie Platt had the belt, and said it was vacated due to the injuries sustained by Armstrong.

According to the lineup I have for Mobile, AL, Tommy Wright possibly won the US Junior title on 7/7/81 (could be repeated in other cities?)

Wrestling returns to Mobile's Expo Hall on Tuesday, July 7 at 8:30 p.m. with another all-star card.
There will be a tournament for the U.S. Junior Heavyweight title. In the tournament is Roy Welch, Tommy Wright, Mike Jackson and newcomer Mr. Junior America (Diamondmd).
Ken Lucas will have his hands full when he faces Ron Bass in a Texas Death Match. Bass says this is his type of match because he'll never quit.
In an Alabama title match, Ray Candy faces Jimmy Golden. If Golden is defeated then he must buy candy for all the kids at the bouts.
In a Southeastern title match, Mr. Olympia meets Dr. Death, and in a Southeastern Tag Team title match, Bob Armstrong and Mario Galento take on Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose (with advisor Tommy Weathers).
In the main event, a Bounty match, Norvel Austin will be trying to defeat Ron Fuller.

7/7/81 Moblie, AL
[United States JR HC:] Tournament
--Roy Welch, Tommy Wright, Mike Jackson and Mr. Junior America
Ken Lucas vs Ron Bass (Texas Death)
[Alabama HC:] Ray Candy vs Jimmy Golden
[Southeastern HC:] Mr. Olympia vs Dr. Death
Bob Armstrong and MArio Galento vs [Southeastern TTC:] Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose
Norvel Austin vs Ron Fuller (bounty)
cman73

Postby cman73 » 2017/01/03 Tue 6:28 pm

According to the 6/30/84 TV show, Vic Rain won the Southeastern Title from Jimmy Golden in a Texas Death Match. Highlights of the match were shown on TV, but not sure if the switch occurred in Birmingham on 6/18 or 6/25, or some other town. I can't figure out by looking at the arena where it's from, unless the announcers come out and say it. Also, Boris Zhukov won a tournament on 6/25 , for a $20,000 van.

On the 7/14 show, Austin Idol won the Southeastern Title from Vic Rain, the "previous night" in Panama City, FL. The highlights of the match were shown, so, I'm thinking the switch took place on 7/13,

Also on the 7/14 show, highlights were shown of Boris Zhukov winning the Alabama Title from Rick McGraw. McGraw was the champ on the 6/30 show (haven't found the 7/7 show), so, I'm guessing somewhere between 6/30 and 7/14. Again, don't know what the arena is.

Finally, on the 7/14 show, Arn Anderson and Jerry Stubbs are announced as the Southeastern Tag Champs. The results I have don't show them winning the belts (I also had the 7/16 date as the switch), and the announcers do not say where they won them. The RAT Patrol were the champs on the 6/30 show.
cman73

Return to Other Regional Territories: pre-1990s