Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Hogan "officially" the former champ

The Minneapolis-based promotion headed by Verne Gagne.

Hogan "officially" the former champ

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2005/03/22 Tue 10:50 pm

Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2005/03/23 Wed 7:14 am

I especially like how they are pointing to Inoki/Backlund and Race/Flair and are saying that in that proud tradition, they are coming out of the closet now too. :lol:

It's beyond sad what's his name isn't here to share this moment with us.
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/03/23 Wed 2:03 pm

"Unbooking" two screwjob finishes that took place more than 20 years ago. And it's not even the same promotion. God I love wrestling. Hogan must be so proud. I'm sure he'll be bragging about it all night long at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony.
Dan Poutsma

Postby bpickering » 2005/03/25 Fri 9:14 am

so its not the same promotion that was own by verne, but the owner of it did buy the rights to use the name and title history from verne or got it threw bankrupty court or what ever...he has the right to use the history of the awa...so what i am trying to say is he want to change the history of the awa by making hogan a two time AWA champ then he can.
bpickering

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/03/25 Fri 12:37 pm

True, Dale Gagner allegedly acquired the rights to the AWA in BK court so he is legally entitled to say whatever he wants. Wrestling is all a work so it doesn't really make a difference to me, but aside from what's his name the problem is everybody looks at the current AWA as a complete joke. I guess it's cool that Gagner is paying "tribute" to Hogan in his own way (not so coincidentally right before Hulk is scheduled to go in the WWE Hall of Fame), but "reversing" two screwjob finishes that were booked that way more than 20 years later just so he can add his name to the list of former champions is kinda stupid in my view. He can play games with the title history all he wants to, but unless he can get Hogan to make some appearances for him so they can incorporate it into the show somehow and make some money off of it, why should anyone care?
Dan Poutsma

Postby bpickering » 2005/03/25 Fri 12:58 pm

Very true why should any one care, it just adds 2 more world titles to hogans list all it does is make the AWA seem more important because hogan is on the list...And true this awa is a not important as the old awa just as the nwa is now compared to the nwa of the old...But seems like just for history sake and name use many feds have "join" the AWA as feds have "join" the NWA..in the long run for indy wrestling that is a good thing.

also i guess that add two more world title wins to bockwinkles title list
It's the best [bad word] sport on earth--Harley Race WWE HOF 2004
bpickering

Postby edgehead1984 » 2005/03/28 Mon 8:13 pm

I would actually like to hear OTR's answer to this...

Well, I've given up on following what Gagner has done...
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby clawmaster64 » 2005/04/06 Wed 11:24 pm

bpickering wrote:Very true why should any one care, it just adds 2 more world titles to hogans list all it does is make the AWA seem more important because hogan is on the list...And true this awa is a not important as the old awa just as the nwa is now compared to the nwa of the old...But seems like just for history sake and name use many feds have "join" the AWA as feds have "join" the NWA..in the long run for indy wrestling that is a good thing.

also i guess that add two more world title wins to bockwinkles title list

The AWA did these types of Dusty finishes quite a bit. The people in the arena thought they'd seen a title change only to find out the next week on television that the decision had been reversed. I don't count it. If I did, I'd have to count every single time it happened.
clawmaster64

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2005/09/12 Mon 1:31 pm

While I still don't consider Hogan's wins as actual title reigns, I added his first win with italicized # and the second one only as a note in order to avoid further inquiries.

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/awa/awa-h.html
Hisaharu Tanabe

Re: Hogan "officially" the former champ

Postby gundamage » 2010/12/11 Sat 3:01 pm

One of my favorite wrestler. Where is Hogan now?
gundamage

Postby Brown_Bomber » 2010/12/12 Sun 1:14 am

Driving TNA to a slow and early grave.
Brown_Bomber

Postby Stevo_The_Devo » 2012/11/20 Tue 11:21 am

Forgive me for my ignorance, but wouldn't Hogan still be known as a former champion, being that he defeated Nick Bockwinkel in a No DQ match, only to be stripped?
Stevo_The_Devo

Return to American Wrestling Association