Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

The Million Dollar Championship

The Million Dollar Championship

Postby Stevo_The_Devo » 2010/04/01 Thu 9:33 am

How come the Million Dollar Championship is not mentioned here? If Ted Dibiase just wore the belt and claimed to be the Million Dollar CHampion and never defended it what-so-ever, I would understand no mention, but the fact that he had defended it on a few occasions, and lost it to Virgil, then regained it again suggests that not only did the Championship exist, it has a history.
Stevo_The_Devo

Re: The Million Dollar Championship

Postby shgarland » 2010/04/02 Fri 6:24 am

I think it's been mentioned in the forums here before, but I think I should share my opinion as to why not. The Million Dollar "Championship" is not mentioned here because it wasn't a championship sanctioned by (what was then) the WWF. Yes, it has a "title history" (which can be found here), but it isn't like the TNA Legends/Global championship for a simple reason. The Million Dollar Belt was actually a part of the character Ted DiBiase had going at the time.

The history I linked to before pretty much sums up the initial angle as I remember it. After DiBiase failed to purchase the WWF World Heavyweight Championship from Andre the Giant after the Giant finally put an end to Hulk Hogan's first World Title reign, the title was held up. This would lead to DiBiase's next (and more legitimate) attempt to acquire the World title, where he would eventually advance into the final match of WrestleMania 4's tournament. Here Ted DiBiase became the man Randy Savage beat for his first World Heavyweight Championship.

DiBiase decided that if he could neither purchase the WWF World championship or win it legitimately, he would purchase his own belt. This led to the creation of the Million Dollar Belt, which was unveiled on the "Brother Love Show." I should say at this point regard it as the "Million Dollar Belt" instead of the "Million Dollar Championship because unlike Booker T's TNA Legends Title (now known as the Global championship), the WWF never acknowledged the belt as an official championship. While the WWE now acknowledges Ted DiBiase as "Million Dollar Champion" on his WWE Hall Of Fame page, they didn't sanction the belt as a championship while he would use it as a part of his persona and running storyline.

The only real omission to the wikipedia title history is the fact that prior to Ted DiBiase's feud with Virgil, Jake "The Snake" Roberts would "acquire" the belt from DiBiase, who would regain possession of the title by count-out at the WrestleMania VI PPV in Toronto, Ontario...twenty years ago yesterday as I type this. If this shift in possession is to not be acknowledged, it is only because Roberts stole the belt from DiBiase at some point during the feud going into WrestleMania VI, and the point of the match at WrestleMania was for DiBiase to take back what was rightfully his. (Just as Ted DiBiase never beat Andre the Giant for the WWF championship, Jake Roberts never beat DiBiase for the title.)

After that, Ted DiBiase would fall out with Virgil, leading to the only two occasions where the belt would actually change possession as a normal championship would; as a result of a match. Virgil won the belt at SummerSlam '91, only to lose it back to DiBiase on November 11, 1991 in Utica, New York. Ted DiBiase would go on to abandon the Million Dollar Belt after he finally wins a world title, teaming with Irwin R. Schyster to win the WWF World Tag Team titles on February 7, 1992 in Denver, Colorado.

The next time the Million Dollar Belt would come up, so far as I remember, is when Steve Austin finally turned up in the WWF. DiBiase was his manager while Austin was wrestling as "The Ringmaster", and would award him the belt upon his WWF debut in Newark, Delaware on December 18, 1995. Austin would abandon the title again after losing a Caribbean Strap Match to Savio Vega at In Your House 8: Beware of Dog. (Edit: due to a pre-match stipulation, DiBiase left the WWF due to Austin's loss in this match.)

I feel that the fact the belt has been abandoned after DiBiase either won a championship or left the WWF further validates the notion that the Million Dollar Belt hadn't been sanctioned as an actual championship by the WWF, on the basis that there is little point in using it if Ted DiBiase isn't somehow involved in it's presence on camera or at live events.

Hope nobody minds my take on the belt's history here. While it wasn't a sanctioned championship, I feel it's story deserves to be told. I'm just not so sure it warrants a page in the WWE area of wrestling-titles.com.
shgarland

Re: The Million Dollar Championship

Postby Stevo_The_Devo » 2010/04/04 Sun 3:01 am

Bummer, I would've loved to see it mentioned here lol
Stevo_The_Devo

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment