Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Susan Green's Women's World Title reign

Susan Green's Women's World Title reign

Postby Exit » 2008/12/01 Mon 2:17 pm

This site and Wrestling Title Histories (I don't have it to hand, but I believe they do) both list Susan Green and Fabulous Moolah trading the title in 1976 in New York, but with no further information.

I searched the results from 1976 on Cawthon's site. Here are all of the listed matches involving Moolah and/or Green:

WWWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - February 28, 1976
Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah defeated Kitty Adams

Toronto, Ontario - Maple Leaf Garden - February 29, 1976
Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah defeated Susan Green at 6:00

WWWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - March 1, 1976
Susan Green pinned Kitty Adams (sub. for Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah) at 9:21; Moolah was deemed unable to compete after breaking her collerbone the previous night in Toronto

Could this be the title change? Green isn't listed as wrestling again in the WWWF until May where she wrestles in tag matches and isn't listed on Cawthon's site as being champion.

WWWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - May 17, 1976
The Fabulous Moolah defeated Susan Green at 11:14

This would presumably be where Moolah gets the title back. Notice that neither woman is listed as being champion, yet just one week later, Moolah is again listed as champion, defending against Vivian St. John in Landover, MD.

None of this necessarily means that Green's reign was legit, but this is almost certainly where the information comes from.
Exit

Re: Susan Green's Women's World Title reign

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2008/12/05 Fri 11:12 am

Thanks for the input.

The info is from the WTH book, and I am also aware of those results on Graham's site you mentioned.

However, I haven't changed my list only because neither of those results say Green was or was not the champ during that time (thus, "*"). If you find any more detail, please let me know.

Jahno.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Re: Susan Green's Women's World Title reign

Postby Exit » 2008/12/06 Sat 9:54 am

I tried doing a basic google search for any more info, but didn't find anything pertaining to the reign. I did find some other stuff though.

One of the regrets of many women wrestlers is the way Moolah held the world title virtually without interruption for a span of nearly 30 years.

Green did get a brief run with the belt during a two-week tour of her home state of Texas in 1975. Dallas promoter Fritz Von Erich told Moolah he wanted her to drop the title to Green for the duration of the tour, and then regain it at the end.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/200 ... 95809.html

DP: Though it wasn't broadcasted much in the USA, you actually beat Moolah for the World Title in Japan and lost it back to her there years ago, didn't you?

SG: I beat Moolah in Dallas, Texas, and lost it back about a month later when I had to defend the belt when I was injury with three broken ribs.

DP: You were also a tag team parter to Sandy Parker long ago and for a long time. There was gossip she had died, but you found out it was a rumor, right?

SG: I was Sandy Parker's partner, and we won the World Tag Team title from Donna Christellno and Toni Rose in November of 1971 in Hawaii and lost them in February of 1972 to Donna and Toni in Hong Kong. Sandy had blown her knee out, and I could not see us risking any more injury to the knee so we foreifed the title back to them.

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/the ... Green.html

Take it for what it's worth.
Exit

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment