Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Jos LeDuc -- Former NWA TV Champ -- When Was He Stripped?

Jos LeDuc -- Former NWA TV Champ -- When Was He Stripped?

Postby Bushinyou » 2006/10/11 Wed 6:12 pm

I have Jos LeDuc beating Jimmy Valiant for the NWA Television Title on 09/19/1982 in Charlotte. I have listings of him as champion until at least 10/26/1982, in a Mid-Atlantic title match against Jack Brisco.

Strangely enough, I have Ivan Koloff making a defense against Valiant on 10/03/1982 in Toronto.

It seems the lineage of the TV Title during this time frame might be a bit muddled.
Last edited by Bushinyou on 2006/10/11 Wed 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushinyou

Postby Bushinyou » 2006/10/11 Wed 7:13 pm

My main point, which I neglected to put in my original post, was to ask if anyone had a result with LeDuc taking on Johnny Weaver from September-November 1982.
Bushinyou

Postby HMFiles » 2006/10/13 Fri 12:16 pm

My first thought was: perhaps the Toronto match was for the Canadian TV Title, which was contested by various JCP wrestlers in that timeframe. However, neither Koloff nor Valiant held that one.

Is it possible that the Koloff-Valiant match was from 3/10 (as in March 10) instead of 10/3 (Oct 3) ?
HMFiles

Postby HMFiles » 2006/10/13 Fri 12:18 pm

From
http://www.oldschool-wrestling.com/geeklog/article.php/Mid-Atlantic-wrestling-1982

10/3/82 Toronto
Jimmy Valiant beat Ivan Koloff
WWF Champion Bob Backlund beat Bob Orton Jr
Pvt. Kernodle & Private Nelson beat Leo Burke & Johnny Weaver
Buddy Rose beat Tony Garea
Tony Parisi & Nick DeCarlo beat The Destroyer & Chuck Conners
Abe Jacobs beat Kenny Hall
HMFiles

Postby Bushinyou » 2006/10/13 Fri 10:08 pm

This is what confuses me about the Toronto card:

October 2 1982 - Greensboro,NC
U.S Champ Wahoo Mcdaniel defeated Sgt.Slaughter by DQ
Jimmy Valiant beat TV Champ Jos Leduc by DQ
Greg Valentine and Pvt.Kernodle beat Jay Youngblood and Porkchop Cash
Johnny Weaver beat Pvt.Nelson
Gene Anderson beat Keith Larson

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And like I said, LeDuc is listed in Zordani's results as TV champion as late as this card:

October 26 1982 - Raleigh,NC
Mid Atlantic Champ Jack Brisco defeated TV Champ Jos Leduc
Greg Valentine beat Jimmy Valiant by DQ
Paul Jones beat Johnny Weaver
Pvt.Nelson beat King Parsons
Porkchop Cash beat Jim Dalton
Keith Larson beat Ken Timbs

On Hisa's title history, this would be the title change:

10/17/82 Toronto
Rudy Kay drew Pvt Nelson, Terry Kay beat Ken Timbs, Buddy Rose beat Nick
DeCarlo, Johnny Weaver beat Leo Burke, Sal Bellomo beat Charlie Fulton, Swede
Hansen beat Tim Gerrard, Jimmy Valiant beat Ivan Koloff NY Street fight, Ric
Flair beat Dory Funk Jr.

I believe something isn't right in the title history, but I can't seem to nail it down with 100% certainty.
Bushinyou

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2006/10/14 Sat 1:55 pm

The info I have says that Leroy Brown won a battle royal on 11/27/82 to win the TV title after LeDuc was stripped. This comes from Richard Sullivan, who grew up on JCP/Mid-Atlantic and seems to know it inside out. However, there is no date given as to when he was stripped. It just says 1982. But given what you have, it seems that it occurred sometime after the 10/26 match with Brisco.

As for Koloff being TV champion on the Toronto cards and losing the title to Valiant, while Sullivan's title history mentions that the championship was also defended in the Toronto promotion, it does not list these title changes. According to his history, Valiant won the title from Koloff in early '82 (no location listed, but it is presumably the switch in Hampton) and was champion until losing to LeDuc on 09/19. While Toronto used JCP talent and titles, they were not part of the main circut. They had their own TV show, Maple Leaf Wrestling, and I don't think what they were doing there was ever acknowledged on Crockett's Mid-Atlantic Championship or World Wide Wrestling shows. So for whatever reason it appears that they were doing their own title switches there between Valiant and Koloff that were not recognized in the Mid-Atlantic. So even after LeDuc won the title from Valiant in the Mid-Atlantic, he and Koloff were still fighting over the title in Toronto. That's why the dates don't add up: Valiant was always champion in Crockettland until losing to LeDuc while the title kept changing hands between he and Koloff in Toronto.
Dan Poutsma

Re: Jos LeDuc -- Former NWA TV Champ -- When Was He Stripped?

Postby father » 2008/11/01 Sat 1:52 am

It was previously stated that Leduc beat Valiant for the TV title on September 9.
Valiant beat Koloff for the title 2 times in Toronto in 1982. Once in the summer and once in October. Valiant did not hold the title (after winning it the first time) until losing it to Leduc on September 9. Koloff won the title back from Valiant before Leducs title win.
Koloff wrestled Valiant in Toronto on October 3. That was not a title switch. It was a chain match. Valiant won, but not within 15 mintues. They next met in Toronto on October 17, where Valiant won the title for a second time.
Since Leduc beat Valiant for the title on September 9, and since Valiant beat Koloff for the title in Toronto on October 17, I would conclude that while Leduc was recognized as the TV champ in Mid Atlantic after September 9, Koloff was recognized as the TV champ in Toronto from September 9 until October 17.
After October 17, the confusion could have been easily cleared up by telling everyong in Toronto that Valiant lost the title to Leduc (even though Leduc won before October 17).
However if Koloff won the title back from Valiant after Valiants first title win, then how did Leduc win the title from Valiant if Koloff was the champ? Maybe Valiant took the title back from Koloff before losing it to Leduc (something the Toronto fans would not have been informed of). If that's the case then Valiant would have been recognized as the champ in Mid Atlantic, and after September 9 Koloff would have been recognized as the champ in Toronto until October 17.
I am confused.
father

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2008/11/01 Sat 12:57 pm

Toronto results (* = defending champ):

1982/02/22
Koloff* def Valiant (DQ)

1982/03/21
Valiant def Koloff* (over 15min)

1982/05/16
Koloff* def Ron Bass

1982/06/06
Valiant def Koloff to win the title

1982/10/03
Valiant def Koloff* (pinned at 15:03, Koloff retains the title)

1982/10/17
Valiant def Koloff to win the title

So, there's a possibility that Valiant's title win in Hampton on 01/02 was never recognized in Toronto, where Koloff may continue to be billed as champion until losing the title to Valiant on 06/06.

Anyway, I mofified the listing:
http://www.wrestling-titles.com/us/mida ... ma-tv.html
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby carlton st » 2009/10/10 Sat 4:56 pm

1982/02/22
Koloff* def Valiant (DQ)

that bout actually 02/21 Valiant was advertised as champ in lead up to the card but Koloff wore the belt to the ring and was announced as champ, even the program while not defining who was champ had Valiant on the left side where the champ was usually billed, there are some photos of Leduc backstage in Toronto with the TV belt around Sept/Oct but he never wrestled here as champ

also the 10/03 card was Koloff again as champ
82/10/03
TV TITLE, RUSSIAN CHAIN MATCH:
Ivan Koloff LP Jimmy Valiant 15:03 (3 seconds over TV t/l)
carlton st

Return to Mid-Atlantic/Jim Crockett Promotions