3/ Women's : ???

a- WWE Women's World Title

or

b- Women's World Title

or

c- WWE Women's Title

or

d- Womens's Title

The precision is very important to me (history and date time please), please be clear and short.

Thanks.
maxange

Postby One to Remember V » 2005/02/03 Thu 3:07 pm

The I-C titles OFFICIAL name is the WWE Intercontinental heavyweight title. It is called the Intercontinental title.

It is called simply the U.S. title

I'd say its official name is the Women's World heavyweight title. Its just called the Women's championship but Moolah's call on this one I'll except.
One to Remember V

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/02/03 Thu 4:33 pm

The promotion phased out regular references to the word "heavyweight" in the late 80s. The Intercontinental heavyweight title began being called the Intercontinental title and the World Wrestling Federation heavyweight title began being called the World Wrestling Federation title. They also phased out regular references to the WWF title, tag title, etc. as "world" championships. I remember Vince referring to Bret Hart once as the World Wrestling Federation heavyweight champion back in the mid-90s, and other people would also sneak in the words "world" and "heavyweight" occasionally. but it got to the point where it was pretty much implied.

Now, the only titles they use "world" and "heavyweight" for on a consistent basis are the RAW based World heavyweight title and World tag team title. All of the other titles are just called Intercontinental, United States, Women's, and Cruiserweight, while the SmackDown! based singles and tag titles are just referred to as the WWE championship and WWE tag team championship.
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember V » 2005/02/03 Thu 4:47 pm

why???????
One to Remember V

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/02/03 Thu 5:52 pm

How do I know? Ask Vince, he's the one in charge.
Dan Poutsma

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/02/03 Thu 11:10 pm

I don't know but I've always imagined Vince's thought process to go something like this:

"Well, they call their belts 'World titles.' Well, my belts are bigger than their belts! In fact, just to show them how much better I think I am than them, I'm just going to call my title the WWF title."

Does that sound about right?

Actually, Tony Chimel has been calling the WWE cruiserweight title the "cruiserweight championship of the World" on the most recent editions of Smackdown!. I wonder if that means that title will switch to Raw soon. Who knows?
The Crowbar King

Postby One to Remember V » 2005/02/04 Fri 9:36 pm

I remember those ppv tapes from 1997 to 1998 mention a match for the "federation title." Dumbest name I'd ever seen.
One to Remember V

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/02/04 Fri 10:45 pm

I remember their publications like WWF Magazine would make reference to it quite a bit as just "The Federation". Personally, I don't see what's so dumb about that. It was just an abbreviated way of saying World Wrestling Federation. It's not like people didn't know what they were talking about. Besides, I *think* they may have had their initial dispute with the World Wildlife Fund around that same timeframe (early 90s) so it's possible they tried to cut down as much as they could on the use of the initials "WWF". On the other hand though, I started watching in the late 80s and they never used the WWF initials as excessively as they ended up doing in the latter 90s and into the early 00s which eventually caused the Fund to force them to change their name to WWE.

Regarding them not calling the WWF title a "world heavyweight" championship, after they brought in the WCW titles they did the same thing. They dropped the "world" and "heavyweight" designations and just started calling them the WCW championship, WCW tag team championship, WCW United States championship, and WCW Cruiserweight championship. So I don't think it's necessarily a "our title is superior" thing. I think that's just the way they prefer to do it. Now that they have two sets of singles and tag titles though, they call the SmackDown! set "WWE" and the RAW set "World" to distinguish between them.
Dan Poutsma

Postby DANGEROUS DAN » 2005/02/05 Sat 12:29 am

worthless pieces of tin with no prestige and little value to anyone who isn't a mark for vince's vomit.
FAITH in HIM is the refusal to panic. <br> GOT JESUS?
DANGEROUS DAN

Postby Kiseki » 2006/06/07 Wed 9:53 am

The ECW title (the original and the new title to be) is being called the ECW World (heavyweight) title on TV and WWE.com/ECW.com. I expected it to be just referred to as the ECW title, to distinguish it from The World heavyweight title.
Kiseki

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2006/07/08 Sat 12:57 pm

Speaking of the World heavyweight title on Smackdown, I admittedly don't watch the show very much anymore and only catch part of it from time to time, but I've noticed that since Rey won the belt they've more or less taken to calling it just the World championship. Last time I checked WWE.com they still list the title as Heavyweight, but I assume they're just calling him World champion because it's kinda ridiculous to use Heavyweight when he's one of the smallest guys on the roster.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Heretic » 2006/11/23 Thu 9:53 pm

Yet, there's actually no reason to drop the term "heavyweight." Weight classes are an upper limit only. To ensure the fairness of fights, the weight class limit provides that no one heavier than the limit can compete for the title.

But if you weigh 168 pounds, and you want to contend for the "heavyweight" title, then that's your prerogative. That's more or less what Roy Jones did in boxing. He's no heavyweight. But, being bored with his own weight class, and outclassing every heavyweight on the planet in terms of talent, he successfully won a version of the heavyweight title.

Now, Roy got out of the division when he had nothing else to prove. Even though Rey was the lightest holder of the heavyweight belt ever, he is still obligated to face behemoths like Big Show or whomever in defense of the heavyweight belt. That's the risk that is entailed when a middleweight wins a heavyweight belt. And, that's how the storyline played out.

Heavyweight is an unlimited weight class. Anyone can be a heavyweight if they want to be. It's just ill advised in many cases.
Heretic

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment