Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

CWA (Memphis) World Tag Titles

Post-1990 topics should be posted under "Everything else".

CWA (Memphis) World Tag Titles

Postby HMFiles » 2006/10/16 Mon 9:09 am

Keep in mind that this is in reference to the "World" Tag Titles which were used along with the Southern Tag Titles in the Jarrett Memphis promotion in the early 80s, not to be confused with the CWA Tag Titles which were created in 1988 to go along with the new CWA Heavyweight Title, which unified the Southern, MidAmerican, and International Titles.

The history of the CWA "World" Tag titles is only listed as going up to 1981.
http://www.wrestling-titles.com/us/tn/cwa/tn-cwa-t.html
However the titles continued to be used (albeit intermittently) at least until 1983. They ran an angle in 1983 in which two enhancement guys, Robert Reed and Ken Raper, won the titles in a crazy upset. (See link below)

http://www.kayfabememories.com/Regions/memphis/memphis-cwa10-2.htm

I'm not sure if this needs to be updated right away, in that this isn't exactly the most important item in the world, but there it is anyway.
HMFiles

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/10/16 Mon 3:30 pm

The Duncan & Will book lists the 1983 title.

Those "world" titles (between '79 and '81) were billed as Continental Wrestling Association titles though other CWA titles were actually Championship Wrestling Association titles. That's why I wasn't sure if I should add the 1983 tag title to the existing list.

I hope someone can clarify this.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby HMFiles » 2006/10/18 Wed 11:40 am

Ah, I see.

I had always presumed that CWA was just a name used by Memphis, and that they would sometimes use "Continental" and sometimes "Championship" due to lack of attention to detail.

I mean, I don't even think there really WAS a CWA promotion*. I thought it was just some initials they'd (occasionally) attach to the title belts.

* I'm not referring to Otto Wanz in Europe. I meant a CWA in Memphis.
HMFiles

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/10/18 Wed 12:31 pm

There was no such company as World Wrestling Federation until Titan Sports changed its name to World Wrestling Federation Entertainment. Similarly, Jerry Jarrett Promotions used CWA and later USWA as the name of its "sanctioning body".

So, you are basically correct that CWA was just a name they attached to the titles.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Return to Other Regional Territories: pre-1990s