Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Need Help with Origins of Titles

Post-1990 topics should be posted under "Everything else".

Need Help with Origins of Titles

Postby gwhrich » 2005/04/10 Sun 9:12 am

I have the following titles and defenses in the state of Georgia, and am trying to nail down the origins for each. Does anyone know if these were legit titles born elsewhere?

Southern Heavyweight Title
Chris Belkas defended this title here for a few cards in November 1948, and it is reported in the newspaper that he "left with the belt". The origins of the true Georgia version of the Southern Title did not start until August 1949. I also know this is not the Florida version.

Pacific Coast Tag Team Title
John and Al Smith put this belt on the line here one time in October 1953. This is not the San Francisco version.

North American Heavyweight Title
Danny McShain defended this title in May 1956, and I cannot find where he held any version of the NA title elsewhere at the time.

Eastern Heavyweight Title
Jerry Graham defended this title here in April and May 1961. There was a Georgia version of this title, but it was not created until the fallout over Blassie and his run here with the LA version of the World Title, which happened two years later.

Southern States Heavyweight Title
Jerry Brisco was putting this title up in Georgia during May and June 1974. I cannot find another title with this name anywhere.

US Tag Team Title
From September through November 1975, Dick Slater and Bob Orton, Jr., were wearing these belts here. It is not the Florida or the New York versions.

US Junior Heavyweight Title
This title appears in Georgia in May 1974 (Louie Tillet) and again in February 1976 (Mike Graham). It is definitely not Fred Ward's version, as it had become defunct well before this as far as I can tell. I also do not believe it is the Alabama version.

Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title
Austin Idol put this up in September 1979. The Gulf Coast territory closed in 1978, and I can't find another title with this name anywhere.

Got a few more from Ann Gunkel's 'title happy' All-South Wrestling Alliance.

World Light Heavyweight Title
The Golden Gladiator defended this title between June and August 1973.

US Heavyweight Title
The title was brought in by Pepper Gomez, who immediately dropped it to Ox Baker. The title was apparently 'adopted' by ASWA at the very least, but it may just have been a homegrown thing altogether. Or was Gomez a US Champ around this time somewhere?

Puerto Rico Heavyweight Title
Carlos Colon defended it once here, but from what I have found it has nothing to do with the same title from the NWA PR office.

European Junior Heavyweight Title
John Foley came in with this between June and August 1973.
gwhrich

Re: Need Help with Origins of Titles

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2005/04/11 Mon 12:50 pm

gwhrich wrote:US Junior Heavyweight Title
This title appears in Georgia in May 1974 (Louie Tillet) and again in February 1976 (Mike Graham). It is definitely not Fred Ward's version, as it had become defunct well before this as far as I can tell. I also do not believe it is the Alabama version.

Mike Graham was recognized as the champ in Florida around October 1975 and also defends the title in Knoxville around March 1976.

Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title
Austin Idol put this up in September 1979. The Gulf Coast territory closed in 1978, and I can't find another title with this name anywhere.

Dothan/southern division of Southeastern title was often advertised as Gulf Coast title even after the Fullers took over the territory in 1978. Idol won it from Hulk in June 1979.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby phil » 2006/02/06 Mon 9:59 pm

Southern States Heavyweight Title
Jerry Brisco was putting this title up in Georgia during May and June 1974. I cannot find another title with this name anywhere.

The only title I have a record of Jerry Brisco holding at this time is the Southeastern Heavyweight Title.

Pepper Gomez as far as I can find only held the San Francisco US Title but 10 years earlier than you are looking for.

John & Al Smith held the NWA/AWA Southern Tag Team Titles around the time frame you are looking for.
phil

Return to Other Regional Territories: pre-1990s