Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Some interesting AWA trademark info

The Minneapolis-based promotion headed by Verne Gagne.

Some interesting AWA trademark info

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/04/27 Wed 1:34 pm

According to the website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the "AWA", "American Wrestling Association", and "All Star Wrestling" trademarks have been assigned to WWE Libraries, Inc., which is a division of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. that also legally holds the rights to the ECW related assets and intellectual property. The former was assigned by AWA American Sumo, Inc. and the latter two were assigned by Squared Circle Ventures, Inc. The trademarks were previously assigned to those two respective entities by Minneapolis Boxing & Wrestling Club, Inc., the company that was owned by Verne Gagne and did business as the American Wrestling Association. It actually appears that all three corporations were under Gagne's umbrella since they all share the same address.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2005/04/27 Wed 2:00 pm

So, WWE basically owns (at least) the trademarks to Verne Gagne's AWA.

What does Dale Gagner own then? Nothing?
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/04/27 Wed 6:28 pm

Dale Gagner allegedly acquired the rights to the AWA name in bankruptcy court in 1996, but USPTO records indicate that all active AWA trademarks previously registered to Verne Gagne's corporation(s) have now been assigned to WWE Libraries. So it appears Vince picked up more than just the tape library from Verne. Whether Verne actually sold something he no longer legally owned (the trademarks), I don't know. I would think Vince would've been smart enough to have had his lawyers check into something like that first, and given Gagner's history of dishonesty, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's lying and didn't acquire anything. I know a few months ago he threatened to sue WWE for using the AWA name, and WWE in turn threatened legal action against him as well. But that was the last I heard of it. WWE still has an AWA logo on their 24/7 website and Gagner still continues to sign up AWA member promotions.
Dan Poutsma

Re: Some interesting AWA trademark info

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2008/10/24 Fri 4:09 pm

Well, it appears Gagner lost the case and he and his "members" can no longer use the AWA marks. He must also transfer all domain names to WWE within 3 days.
Dan Poutsma

Return to American Wrestling Association