Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

NWA/WWF Title Arrangement

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

NWA/WWF Title Arrangement

Postby jekil » 2005/02/07 Mon 5:57 am

Could someone explain - in detail - how the arrangement between WWF and NWA (if there was one) which allowed the WWF to use the NWA World Tag Team and Nth American Heavyweight titles in 1998.

And is it true that NWA World's Champion Dan Severn defended the belt in the WWF in 1998 when he was champ from 95-99. If so, did he have the belt with him and how did it come about. I dont remember the WWF ever regard him as NWA champ while he worked for them even though he clearly was.

Any help would be appreciated.
jekil

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/02/07 Mon 2:50 pm

Long story short, Jim Cornette was complaining about how the WWF and WCW were lacking "traditional" wrestling.

So he brought in the NWA, with it's tradition allegedly stretching all the way back to the 1800s. NWA promoters Howard Brody and Dennis Coralluzzo showed up on RAW one night and it was announced that the winner of a match between Jeff Jarrett and Barry "Blackjack" Windham would be crowned the NWA North American champion. Jarrett won after a tennis racket shot while the ref was tied up with Coralluzzo.

The Rock 'N Roll Express were brought in as the NWA World tag team champions and Windham also later turned on his tag partner Bradshaw to join the group. After the Rock 'N Rolls dropped the belts to the Headbangers (which featured a couple of appearances from old NWA ref Tommy Young), they were kicked out as Cornette brought in Bob Holly and Bart Gunn as the New Midnight Express, who went onto win the title.

Dan Severn also came in as NWA World champion and wore the belt.

A short time later, the whole thing fell apart. Severn had a falling out with Cornette and Jarrett dumped the NWA when he decided to go back to being "Double J" with Tennessee Lee (Col. Parker) as his manager. The New Midnights also broke up after the Brawl For All (although they "did the honors" and dropped the NWA tag titles on an NWA indy show promoted by Greg Price) and the last memory I really have of it was Windham being squashed by The Undertaker.

After breaking ties with Cornette, Severn was no longer announced as NWA champ and stopped coming out with the belt. But I remember he DID actually end up wearing the belt on the night he was piledriven by Owen Hart and "injured" in a recreation of the Steve Austin incident from SummerSlam '97.

I believe the behind the scenes story was that Vince was looking to sign Dan Severn so he could do a program with he and Ken Shamrock. Since Severn was the NWA champ and Cornette was good friends with Coraluzzo, they talked Vince into working an angle with the NWA. The WWF called all the shots, but they had to get NWA board approval to do any title changes. It was also done as a way for both to get back at WCW, which was claiming ties to the NWA title history.

Even after the angle fizzled out on TV though (Russo had a grudge against Cornette and tried to bury them every chance he could), the WWF still continued to supply talent for NWA shows for a while. As mentioned, the New Midnights dropped the tag belts on an NWA show, and Steven Regal also challenged Severn for the NWA title at their 50th Anniversary Show.
Dan Poutsma

Postby HMFiles » 2006/10/16 Mon 3:23 pm

Dan Poutsma wrote:After breaking ties with Cornette, Severn was no longer announced as NWA champ and stopped coming out with the belt. But I remember he DID actually end up wearing the belt on the night he was piledriven by Owen Hart and "injured" in a recreation of the Steve Austin incident from SummerSlam '97.

With that in mind . . . I guess Dan Severn was the only NWA World Champion so far (and probably the foreseeable future) to have competed in the Royal Rumble.

Too bad he did not take part in Wrestlemania 14, just for trivia's sake.
HMFiles

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance