Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

NWA/WCW Title Questions

The Atlanta-based organization owned by Turner Broadcasting.

NWA/WCW Title Questions

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/01/20 Thu 4:23 pm

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but why have the WCW title histories been split up from the NWA title histories? For example, I always thought that the Mid-Atlantic tag team titles became the NWA World Tag Team title, which would become the WCW World Tag Team titles. The same goes for the World Television title and possibly several others.

Am I wrong here? What's the deal?
The Crowbar King

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/20 Thu 6:37 pm

The Mid-Atlantic tag team champions used to be called the Atlantic Coast tag team champions. It was separate from the NWA World tag team championship which was instituted in 1975. I believe the Mid-Atlantic titles were "unified" with the World titles about a month or so after the latter came on the scene, but then were brought back in 1976 and lasted until the mid-80s when they were dropped.

The NWA World tag team champions began to be called the WCW World tag team champions a couple of years following Turner's buyout of Crockett. In 1992, the NWA World tag team title was brought back from "inactivity" after WCW came to an agreement with the NWA to use the name again, immeditately unified them with the WCW World tag title, and both sets of belts were used. After a while though the promotion started using just one WCW belt and one NWA belt before switching to just the NWA belts. When WCW parted ways with the NWA in 1993, the NWA belts subsequently disappeared and the champions just went back to using the WCW belts and being called WCW World tag team champions.

The TV champion in JCP was originally called the Mid-Atlantic TV champion. In 1978, the champion Baron Von Raschke allegedly won a tournament involving all of the other regional TV champions in the National Wrestling Alliance to become the first NWA Television champion. In 1985 on an edition of "Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling", Jim Crockett presented a new belt to champion Dusty Rhodes and the title began to be called the NWA World Television championship after it was announced that the NWA had signed "sanctioning contracts" in Japan, Australia, England, and Germany. A couple of years after the Turner buyout, all references to the NWA were dropped from the promotion completely and the champion began to be called the WCW World Television champion.

The U.S. heayyweight title was instituted in 1975 just like the World tag title and was also NWA sanctioned in storyline. Same story as the others: the NWA name was eventually dropped altogether a couple of years after the Turner buyout and the champion was now called the WCW U.S. titleholder.

The World heavyweight championship is a different story because it was officially recognized by the NWA board unlike the others. Even after the NWA World champion began to be called the WCW World champion on Turner programming, the NWA still recognized him as their titleholder. When Ric Flair was fired by Jim Herd in 1991, the WCW title was passed to Lex Luger, but Flair was still NWA champion even though the name was no longer being mentioned by WCW. When Flair joined the WWF a couple of months later, Herd was named NWA president and he was stripped of the championship.

Eventually, WCW got the physical belt back from Flair after some legal wrangling and along with New Japan Pro Wrestling held a tournament in August 1992 to determine a new NWA World champion. Masahiro Chono won the tourney and defended the belt in both promotions. He lost it to The Great Muta, who dropped it to Barry Windham at WCW's SuperBrawl III, who lost it to Flair at WCW's Beach Blast '93. A couple of months later, WCW pulled out of the NWA which stripped recognition from Flair. After some more legal garbage (WCW presented evidence in court showing that they owned the physical belt and "goodwill" but could no longer use the NWA name in reference to it), they called Rick Rude, who had beaten Flair for the "World heavyweight title" at Fall Brawl '93, as just the holder of the "Gold Belt" before deciding that he was now the World heavyweight champion as recognized by "WCW International". That title lasted until being unified with the WCW World title at the Clash of the Champions in June 1994.

In the meanwhile, the NWA World title was considered vacant and wasn't filled until Shane Douglas won the tournament at the ECW Arena in August 1994 before tossing the belt to the ground. After the incident, the NWA declared his victory null and void and the title remained vacant until Chris Candido won a second tournament three months later.
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/20 Thu 8:17 pm

Okay so the International World title was the Big Gold belt? When it was unified with the wcw title were both belts presented or the '92 version dropped immidietly?
One to Remember

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/20 Thu 8:37 pm

Yes, the Big Gold was used for the International World title. On the night of the unification, both Flair and Sting wore their belts to the ring and after Flair won he was presented with both and held them up over his head. As far as I know, that was the last time the Reggie Parks made WCW belt was seen. The Big Gold was just used from then on, but I remember there was also a brief spell afterwards where Tony Schaivone referred to Flair as the "Unified" World champion.
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/20 Thu 8:52 pm

so did Saturday Night use to be a major WCW program?
One to Remember

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/20 Thu 9:14 pm

Hell yes! It was THE main program for WCW until "Nitro" was launched in 1995. Tons of wrestling history in that timeslot going all the way back to the early 70s and the old Georgia promotion.

Long story short, it was called "Georgia Championship Wrestling" from then until 1982 when they changed the name to "World Championship Wrestling". The show was produced by Georgia Championship Wrestling, Inc., which was part of the NWA. Vince McMahon eventually bought control of GCW, Inc., took over the show, and turned it into a WWF program on July 14, 1984, a day known as "Black Saturday". After about 9 months, Vince and Ted Turner had had enough of each other and McMahon sold his TV time to Jim Crockett Promotions for reportedly $1 million. Crockett continued to run the slot as "World Championship Wrestling" before he ended up selling to Turner in late 1988. A new parent business entity by the same name (World Championship Wrestling, Inc., initially called Universal Wrestling Corporation before they changed it) was formed to oversee the promotion, and down the road the name of the show would eventually be changed to "WCW Saturday Night".
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/20 Thu 9:34 pm

So why did Nitro's launching have to take it down a notch? Does Ted Turner even life wrestling?
One to Remember

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/20 Thu 9:43 pm

Because "Nitro" was competing in primetime against "Monday Night RAW", which was the WWF's flagship program. It was a huge gamble and people thought they were nuts for doing it.

Turner liked wrestling mainly because it essentially contributed to building his empire. It was a staple on TBS for many years and drew huge numbers. That was the principle reason he bought out Jim Crockett Promotions in late 1988 after the company ran into financial problems and likely would've ended up shutting down. He wanted to ensure the future of the programming.
Dan Poutsma

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/01/21 Fri 1:27 am

I asked the question because in Hisa's WCW World Tag Team title history, he has the title beginning in January 1991 with Doom as champions, and I've always known the title to have been created through Mid-Atlantic in 1975. So I'm just wondering if history is being re-written or what exactly is up with that?

Now, for the World Television title I see that Jake Roberts (Mid-Atlantic) is listed as the first champion. However, for years PWI has listed Mark Youngblood, I believe, as the first champion? Why is there a discrepancy there?
The Crowbar King

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/21 Fri 2:35 pm

Doom was the first team referred to as WCW World tag team champions. They were previously called NWA World tag team champions by the promotion, which was what the title had been known as since it was instituted in 1975

In 1992, WCW brought back the NWA name and held a tournament for the NWA World tag team title on the premise was that it had basically been "inactive" since WCW dropped the name in late 1990/early 1991. They were immediately unified with the WCW titles and stayed that way until WCW dropped out of the NWA the following year.

Jake Roberts held the TV title in the old Georgia promotion. That title was promoted by Georgia Championship Wrestling until Vince McMahon bought control of the company. Championship Wrestling from Georgia then "assumed" recognition of it until the "merger" with Jim Crockett Promotions in 1985, which reduced it to the National TV title for a brief time before dropping it.

PWI is wrong. Mark Youngblood was not the first NWA TV champion. It was Baron Von Raschke, who as I mentioned used to be Mid-Atlantic TV champion before he allegedly won a tournament in 1978. From what I understand, he was very briefly called the World Television champion before they just started calling it the NWA TV title. In 1985, Jim Crockett presented then-champion Dusty Rhodes with a new belt and named him the World TV champion.
Dan Poutsma

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/01/21 Fri 2:50 pm

I meant Georgia. I was at work and rushing. Thanks for the info.
The Crowbar King

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/01/21 Fri 3:00 pm

Actually,now I'm wondering why the NWA didn't simply continue to recognize Doom as its champion in January 1991 when they did so with Ric Flair and the NWA World heavyweight title. I apologize in advance if this has already been asked.
The Crowbar King

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2005/01/21 Fri 3:07 pm

The NWA never recognized Doom as the title they held was not sanctioned by the board. it was merely WCW's "NWA World Tag Team Title" and in 1991 they stopped calling it that and put their own mark on it.
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/21 Fri 3:26 pm

Yep, although I believe the board recognized it when it was brought back to WCW in 1992. From what I understand, the tournament was supposedly Steve Rickard's (NWA promoter in New Zealand) idea.
Dan Poutsma

Postby The Crowbar King » 2005/01/24 Mon 4:47 am

I have another question about a couple of WCW titles.

Why was Akira Hokuto put over Madusa at Starrcade 1996 for the WCW Women's World title and why was it forgotten about so quickly? Did Hokuto just take the title to Japan and defend it there, and if so, for how long was it defended? I know Madusa lost a retirement match, but was this some type of punishment or something?

Also, how long was the WCW Women's World Cruiserweight title actually in WCW and how long was it defended in Japan?

Thanks.
The Crowbar King

Next

Return to World Championship Wrestling