Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

De facto vancancy, de facto champion

Pre-1990 topics only.

De facto vancancy, de facto champion

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/12 Wed 8:42 pm

If a company shuts down without a vacancy in the title and the company reopens would the last champion be the current champion of the rejuvinated federation? Would a cease in operations automatically equal a vacancy?
One to Remember

Postby HORRORSHOW » 2005/01/13 Thu 12:29 pm

Well, depends on the company I guess. Personally, if I were a promoter with that situation on my hands, I'd have the top talent in the federation, including the old guys who deserve shots and new guys that might have been signed during the hiatus, enter a round robin tournament. Of course, I'd include the former champ in the rankings. Then, the two workers with the best performance in the tourney would have to go for the title in a match.
Abba-Zabba....you my only friend! - Thurgood Jenkins :D
HORRORSHOW

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/13 Thu 7:51 pm

If you start up an old company with a new champion some would call that a blimmish in the lineage. That's why I asked...
One to Remember

Postby edgehead1984 » 2005/01/14 Fri 10:59 am

What if the old champion has passed on or is unable to defend...If you are referring to the revival of the AWA in 1999, I doubt Larry would come down to Minneapolis...
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/15 Sat 5:05 pm

Stampede 1948-1988, restarted. ECW: enough left to restart. If the previous champion of the company pre-inactivity is there there is no lineage break.
One to Remember

Postby jedi bobs » 2005/01/15 Sat 8:02 pm

well when WCW shut down after the last nitro and WWE gained control all the champions came over to WWE with the linage un broken.
jedi bobs

Postby HORRORSHOW » 2005/01/17 Mon 12:42 pm

Yea, but that was more for story line continuity, because the WCW was "invading" WWF. Now, let us never speak of this "invasion"...pardon me...."InVasion"...again :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:
HORRORSHOW

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/17 Mon 5:09 pm

HORRORSHOW wrote:Yea, but that was more for story line continuity, because the WCW was "invading" WWF. Now, let us never speak of this "invasion"...pardon me...."InVasion"...again :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

Of course, Shane could've announced a "relaunch" like Bischoff and Russo did and crowned all new champions after he "bought" WCW, but that would've actually taken some thought and effort. Plus doing that seems to indicate that WCW would've been it's own promotion with it's own show, and that never ended up happening.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Luds » 2005/01/18 Tue 10:30 am

Exactly, Dan & HORRORSHOW.

Vinny was so darn sure he was king of the world, he never thought for a second that WCW fans would simply quit watching wrestling (or at least, not tune in to see WWE). He thought he would just sign their best talent and keep the crowd...

Boy was he wrong!
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/18 Tue 2:53 pm

Luds wrote:Exactly, Dan & HORRORSHOW.

Vinny was so darn sure he was king of the world, he never thought for a second that WCW fans would simply quit watching wrestling (or at least, not tune in to see WWE). He thought he would just sign their best talent and keep the crowd...

Boy was he wrong!

Well it didn't help matters much that

A) The whole thing for all intents and purposes served as a backdrop to the McMahon family soap opera. They were the real "stars" of the storyline. The rest were basically just a supporting cast.

B) Aside from Booker T. and DDP, all of the other big name WCW talent like Goldberg, Flair, Sting, Nash, and Steiner were still sitting out their guaranteed contracts with Time Warner.

C) The talent they did have was mostly lower to mid-card people in the old promotion and were made to look foolish at just about every opportunity. And they didn't even use a lot of the guys they acquired. They ended up shipping most of them off to developmental before eventually just releasing them.
Dan Poutsma

Postby HORRORSHOW » 2005/01/18 Tue 4:56 pm

EXACTLY...and THAT'S why we should never speak of the InVasion again! McMahon totally screwed that one up big time just so his brats could get in some decent storyline time and go against him, and get crushed.
HORRORSHOW

Postby Luds » 2005/01/19 Wed 11:10 am

It would have been so simple to make it work though...

Monday is Raw, Thursday is Nitro.
Different writers, different roster, different show types...

Raw would be gimmicks and 3 minute matches, Nitro would be filled with long Tag matches, and 30 minutes of cruiserweight action every time...

Voila!
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General