Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Greatest Gaijins of All-Time?

Also visit "Puroresu Dojo Forum".

Postby mrpayperview » 2004/08/03 Tue 5:07 am

Thesz, Gordy, Williams, Abdullah, Hansen, Dynamite Kid and Blassie were all gaijin legends, but what about Karl Gotch?
mrpayperview

Postby Kev424 » 2004/08/05 Thu 6:42 pm

I'm gonna go with Tommy Billington, Vader, Scott Norton and Hulk Hogan.
<b>- Join the Kevolution!</b>
Kev424

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/08/17 Tue 5:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mrpayperview+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrpayperview)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thesz, Gordy, Williams, Abdullah, Hansen, Dynamite Kid and Blassie were all gaijin legends, but what about Karl Gotch?[/quote]Gotch is of course considered as one of the true legends. He gets a lot more respect in Japan than he ever did in the US.

Again, does Norton count? I don't remember when he started wrestling for New Japan, but this board is only for pre-90s topics only.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby HORRORSHOW » 2004/08/18 Wed 11:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-DANGEROUS DAN+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DANGEROUS DAN)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Before the tragedy of his demons, Gordy was an extemely gifted worker. He was a big man who could move very well, had a very credible looking offense and could seel his butt off. Because of all this he could draw very well as a gaijin. Get some of his bouts and you will not be disapponited![/quote]

I'd always heard that it was a stroke or heart attack and partial brain damage that lowered Gordy's game. Mick Foley goes into detail in "Mankind: Have a NIce Day". He said that the brain damage left Gordy a shell of his former self, and that Gordy relied heavily on opponents to make him look good in matches after it happened. Is this true?
Abba-Zabba....you my only friend! - Thurgood Jenkins :D
HORRORSHOW

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/08/18 Wed 1:25 pm

That's what seemed to be when I used to watch his matches live at the Dallas Sportatorium about 10 years ago.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Luds » 2004/08/19 Thu 7:01 am

Gordy sure looked good in his AJ matches prior to it. Him vs. Hansen was fun to watch.
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby AbBY » 2004/10/19 Tue 8:59 pm

Abdullah for sure, Gordy, Vader and most of all Terry Funk. OH yeah, and Bruiser Brody too.
I can smell it, I can hear it... Its triple H!!! he just won the world title on a fluke! (again)
AbBY

Postby Tradewynd » 2004/10/20 Wed 12:34 pm

Since this board is for pre-90s, I'm assuming that Vader's work in the 90s doesn't count as far as this thread goes, so despite my huge markdom for him I can't really say he was the best or even say that he should be among the upper elite for pre-90s. Dynamite Kid is certainly an easy argument to make. As is Hansen. Gordy I would have to classify the same way as Vader, since the whole Miracle Violence Connection thing doesn't really count here. The Funks certainly have their place on that list, and it would be wrong to leave The Destroyer out. I have always believed that it is not possible to deem one person the "best" wrestler, as wrestling is an art which makes it subjective by its nature. We ca nfind people who belong in the class of the elite, but cannot really declare one of them the "best."
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2004/10/20 Wed 2:49 pm

terry funk
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Postby AbBY » 2004/10/21 Thu 8:47 am

vader wasnt in japan in the 80s, but he is a 2 time triple crown winner, and he also won the IGWP, so without a doubt he was one of the best. Gordy, too.
I can smell it, I can hear it... Its triple H!!! he just won the world title on a fluke! (again)
AbBY

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2004/10/21 Thu 4:17 pm

this is the pre-90s part of the forum. vader won the iwgp title in the late 80s, but thats it really. i don't really know to what extent gordy was active back then. so while they were good, i think one can cancel them out.
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Postby otsukafan » 2004/10/21 Thu 4:24 pm

Being a UWFi fan, I'd have to say Gotch for his contribution...I would add Vadar, Backlund and Albright.

Brody, Gordy and Dr. Death for non-shootstyle.
otsukafan

Postby AbBY » 2004/10/22 Fri 9:56 pm

Well, pre 90s...Abdullah, Dr Death, Hulk Hogan...
AbBY

Postby Captain Charisma » 2004/11/04 Thu 8:14 pm

I in no way, shape, or form should be answering this question, but I haven't seen anyone mention Jack Brisco, or Harley Race.. They both defended and lost the NWA title in Japan. What are you guys thoughts on them?

Jeff
<i>"Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair! WHOOOOOO"</i>
Captain Charisma

Postby stunning_grover » 2004/11/04 Thu 8:39 pm

Harley Race is one the greatest wrestlers of all-time. In Japan he was also a well respected wrestler and he had some title reigns and great matches over there as well. Definitely one of the greatest gaijins in puroresu history.
stunning_grover

PreviousNext

Return to Japan