Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

How can one fed 'revive' another's title?

Pre-1990 topics only.

In My Opinion...

Postby mattitude » 2004/10/04 Mon 10:10 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the offical way but in my opinion it can be done one of two ways

1. like the WWF/WWE you buy out your compition or brand so that is how the WWF can revive the WCW title on RAW and the Cruiserweight & US titles on Smackdown!

2. They have permission from the orginal owner of that belt/brand for example for the WWF to revivie the ECW World title all they would need is permission of the last owners of the ECW name and titles (unless they own them now)

I may be wrong I may not be.. for now take it as my opinion
Matthew
<a href='http://"http://vault.webhop.info"' target='_blank'>http://vault.webhop.info</a>
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2004/10/05 Tue 7:26 pm

WWE owns the ECW trademark, tape library, and other assets associated with the brand/company.
Dan Poutsma

They Do?

Postby mattitude » 2004/10/05 Tue 7:55 pm

Hello Dan,

When did that happen.. the last thing I herd was that the only thing they had was a temporay use of the logo for invasion and that they bough the tape library.. do they know own the last of ECW including the titles?

Thanks
Matthew
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2004/10/06 Wed 2:57 pm

They picked everything up a while back.
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/18 Tue 4:41 pm

If they picked everything back why wasnt all of the enterance music for ECW wrestlers in use and where were the ECW titles during the Alliance invasion? Doesnt also make ECW contracted wrestlers the WWF's?
One to Remember

Postby phil » 2005/01/18 Tue 6:10 pm

ECW closed before the invasian angle started there for there contracted wrestlers no longer had contracts. The music was not on the dvds because they would have had to pay royalties to the bands that made the songs so it was easier to just edit them out. I don't believe that they had the ecw tapes or assetts until 2002/2003. The titles are held by the last to have them being Rhino, doring and Roadkill. except the TV Title which I had heard was stolen at the last pay per view.
phil

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/18 Tue 9:11 pm

Correct. ECW ran it's last show in January 2001 and it's parent business entity, HHG Corp., filed for BK that April.

At the time of the Invasion storyline, Vince did not own the rights to the ECW trademark or any other assets. It was legally in the possession of the BK court. When the WWF initially brought ECW into the Invasion storyline, they did so without permission from the BK court. They subsequently came to an agreement where the court allowed them limited use of the name and that's why they essentially started calling it "The Alliance". The storyline ended in November '01 and it wasn't until much later on that WWE eventually picked up the rights to the trademark, tape library, and whatever else from the court.

And as mentioned, they would have to pay royalties for use of any "real" music and that's why they don't include them on their tapes/DVD's. It all has to do with legalities. Fwiw, that's also why they edit out Jesse Ventura's commentary on some of the matches as well because he sued them several years ago over a similar issue.
Dan Poutsma

Postby mattitude » 2005/01/19 Wed 12:58 am

Hello,

one of the last few posts mention that the TV title was stolen at a ppv.. I have not herd anything about that.. as far as my research as led me to believe the last champions were

Tag: Anny Doring & Road Kill
TV: Rhyno
World Heavyweight: Rhyno

As far as the company that owned ECW and ECWs Assets and Trademarks/copywrites they just considered the TV title unified into the World Heavyweight to give closure to ECWs title belts.

This is was I understand to be correct on the title issue.. I wish Vince had used them in invasion and unified them also with their WWF/WWE Conterparts would have been the final closure to ECW rather then a lasting legacy of bankrupcy.

Till Next Post
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/19 Wed 2:13 pm

I don't think that could've happend because, as I mentioned, the BK court legally had control of the mark at the time and they only allowed him limited use for I think X amount of time.
Dan Poutsma

Postby mattitude » 2005/01/19 Wed 4:33 pm

Hello,

Right but it was the ECW company that said it just before filing as far as I knew/know

Thanks
Matthew
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/19 Wed 7:38 pm

No, I meant I don't know whether Vince could've had ECW champions and then unified them with the WWF titles because the BK court only gave him limited use.

At any rate, even if they could've, the promotion already had way too many titles as it was between the WWF and WCW.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2005/01/19 Wed 9:14 pm

i figure vince and [insert name of periodic wcw chieftain] always saw ecw as a promotion to draw ideas and wrestlers from, but never legitimacy.
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Previous

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General