Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Most Famous Feud?

Also visit "Puroresu Dojo Forum".

Most Famous Feud?

Postby The Cerebral Game » 2004/02/22 Sun 3:38 pm

What was the most famous rivalry or feud to come out of Japan in the Showa era?
The Cerebral Game

Postby Jason » 2004/02/22 Sun 5:25 pm

If by "famous" you mean the feud that the most people knew about, it would probably be Ali vs. Inoki. But if you're asking which was the biggest feud within wrestling circles, that's totally a matter of opinion. Jumbo/Baba vs. Hansen/Brody, maybe?
Jason

Postby Luds » 2004/02/23 Mon 9:13 am

I sure liked Choshu & Fujinaki in the 80's in NJ.
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/02/27 Fri 12:03 pm

Jumbo/Baba vs. the Funks
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/02/28 Sat 10:25 am

I kinda recall we had another thread like this but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, many feuds involving Rikidozan is very famous and historically important. To list a few:

Rikidozan vs. Fred Blassie
Rikidozan vs. Thesz
Rikidozan vs. The Destroyer
Rikidozan & any partner vs. The Sharpe Bros

New Japan:
Inoki vs. Tiger Jeet Singh
Inoki vs. Stan Hansen
Inoki vs. Hogan
Inoki vs. Rusher Kimura
Fujinami vs. Choshu
Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid
Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi

All Japan:
Baba vs. Abdullah the Butcher
Baba vs. Hansen
The Funks vs. Sheik/Abdullah (possibly the most important feud in the history of All Japan)
The Funks vs. Hansen/Brody
Tsuruta vs. NWA/AWA world heavyweight champs (mainly Race, Bockwinkle, and Flair)
Tsuruta vs. Brody
Tsuruta vs. Tenryu

All Japan Women's:
Beauty Pair vs. Black Pair
Jaguar Yokota vs. Devil Masami
Crush Gals vs. Dump Matsumoto & Bull Nakano

Gotta be more, but that's all I can think of in this Saturday morning...
Hisaharu Tanabe

Most famous feud?

Postby lonewolfsuarez » 2004/04/01 Thu 12:15 pm

In my opinion, I want to say Hogan/Inoki, only because it was one of the 1st things I read about when I started following wrestling in 1984. :computer:
:cheers: <span style='color:Blue'><span style='font-family:Georgia'><b>All my people in the Biz---STAND UP!!!</b></span></span>
lonewolfsuarez

Postby Dynamic A » 2004/09/29 Wed 4:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Hisaharu Tanabe+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hisaharu Tanabe)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
All Japan:
The Funks vs. Sheik/Abdullah (possibly the most important feud in the history of All Japan)[/quote]

I've seen this said by many people, Dave Meltzer included. I personally don't understand why the feud is as important as it is made out to be.

-DA
Dynamic A

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/09/30 Thu 10:14 am

During most of the JWA days, it was usually Japanese (faces) vs. gaijins (heels). The feud between the Funks and Abby/Sheik changed that the gaijins can be super faces. In early 80s, Dory Jr. and Terry were even more popular than the Japanese team of Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta. They even had a group of cheerleaders in the arena (consisted of the fans, not planted) for Terry.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Dynamic A » 2004/10/01 Fri 12:38 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Hisaharu Tanabe+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hisaharu Tanabe)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->During most of the JWA days, it was usually Japanese (faces) vs. gaijins (heels). The feud between the Funks and Abby/Sheik changed that the gaijins can be super faces.[/quote]

I'm not so sure if it was really the Funks that changed that, however. Destroyer was an extremely popular babyface in 1973, 4 years before Dory and Terry officially "turned" during their feud with Abby and the Sheik. Also, Billy Robinson was often booked in All Japan as a face as well, he certainly got a large amount of cheers and a sympathetic angle in his feud against Abdullah in 77.

-DA
Dynamic A

Postby Sliced Bread #2 » 2004/10/03 Sun 8:16 pm

I don't really know about most important, but Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask was for sure my favorite Rivalry of all time. :thumbup:
Sliced Bread #2

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/10/04 Mon 11:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Dynamic A+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dynamic A)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm not so sure if it was really the Funks that changed that, however. Destroyer was an extremely popular babyface in 1973, 4 years before Dory and Terry officially "turned" during their feud with Abby and the Sheik. Also, Billy Robinson was often booked in All Japan as a face as well, he certainly got a large amount of cheers and a sympathetic angle in his feud against Abdullah in 77.[/quote]You're right that the Funks may not have actually "changed" that, but unlike The Destroyer, who actually lived in Japan and was a full time member/employee of All Japan, the Funks didn't really have to "side" with the Japanese to become the faces.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Dynamic A » 2004/10/04 Mon 12:27 pm

That is certainly a valid point. I just always saw the Funks' face turn and them being embraced by AJ fans as a part of a progression started by the Destroyer, who was well liked and somewhat of a cultural phenomenon even as he worked heel in the JWA because of his charisma and comedic timing.

Thanks for the responses Hisa!

-DA
Dynamic A

Postby AbBY » 2004/11/09 Tue 10:03 pm

were the Abby/Sheik vs Funks feuds very bloody? I suppose just from seeing who are them. but they were hardcore or just opened foreheads with punches?
I can smell it, I can hear it... Its triple H!!! he just won the world title on a fluke! (again)
AbBY

Return to Japan