Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

help with whos-whos in a match?

Also visit "Puroresu Dojo Forum".

help with whos-whos in a match?

Postby crippler_85 » 2004/05/14 Fri 7:56 am

i recently got this random tape off a friend that has everything from baba-race to lawler-kaufman, and i could pretty much identify all wrestlers, except these two matches, i wasn't quite sure...one was with tiger mask for the wwf junior heavyweight title against this guy, who had a small build and wore black pants, with a white line going down each side, and he had short hair. any ideas? also, on one of the final matches on the tape, it's a 3-way tag between hulk hogan, antonio inoki, ??? vs sgt. slaughter, some gaijin who does a lot of flashy rvd type flips, and a masked wrestler who i believe to be the destroyer. does anyone have any idea on any of these matches?

also on the topic of old-puro matches, does anyone know if there was a baba-andre showdown? it seems like it would be just interesting to see these two stand toe-to-toe. the only thing i seem to be thinking is that alot of the times wwf wrestled njpw, while nwa/awa wrestled ajpw...but i could be wrong!?
"I can't jump high, so I jump from high places." -- Cactus Jack
crippler_85

Postby stunning_grover » 2004/05/14 Fri 10:20 am

>on one of the final matches on the tape, it's a 3-way tag between hulk hogan, antonio inoki, ??? vs sgt. slaughter, some gaijin who does a lot of flashy rvd type flips, and a masked wrestler who i believe to be the destroyer.

Hulk Hogan & Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Sgt. Slaughter & Chris Adams & Masked Superstar (Demolition Ax).

>also on the topic of old-puro matches, does anyone know if there was a baba-andre showdown? it seems like it would be just interesting to see these two stand toe-to-toe.

They never had a one-on-one match against each other. But, they did team together on a couple of occasions in 1990 and 1991.

>the only thing i seem to be thinking is that alot of the times wwf wrestled njpw, while nwa/awa wrestled ajpw...but i could be wrong!?

Yes, but they first teamed together on a muliple promtions (All Japan/WWF/New Japan) show. And the other occasions were when Andre had tours for All Japan between September '90 and December '92 even though Andre never had tours for All Japan when he was in his prime (he had tours for New Japan when he was in his prime), but they booked him anyway because he was such a well respected legend.
stunning_grover

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/05/14 Fri 9:36 pm

Andre's last matches were with Baba as a team

The WWF had a agreement with Inoki from its inception to 1985 and then Inoki was affiliated with WCW from the late 80's to 1999, thank to Russo.

Both All-Japan and New Japan were members of the NWA for years.

All-Japan exchanged talent with AWA through the years.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby stunning_grover » 2004/05/15 Sat 8:10 am

>Andre's last matches were with Baba as a team

In six-man tags.
stunning_grover

Postby crippler_85 » 2004/05/15 Sat 12:38 pm

does anyone know who the guy i was talking about in the tiger mask match? i also got a best of tiger mask tape borrowed, so if i check the match listing on the net, it's probably on there somewhere too...on that random tape i have, this unknown guy also had a really good match with villano something-or-other...
crippler_85

Postby stunning_grover » 2004/05/15 Sat 5:01 pm

>does anyone know who the guy i was talking about in the tiger mask match? i also got a best of tiger mask tape borrowed, so if i check the match listing on the net, it's probably on there somewhere too...on that random tape i have, this unknown guy also had a really good match with villano something-or-other...

Maybe you need to tell us a bit more about this guy and the match he had with Tiger Mask.
stunning_grover

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/05/16 Sun 10:55 am

That would be helpful.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Luds » 2004/05/17 Mon 9:04 am

Yeah, maybe list a couple of moves he did...
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby crippler_85 » 2004/05/18 Tue 9:55 am

here's a list of some of the moves he did:
-martial arts kicks
-spinning high kick
-scoop slam from arm wrench
-headbutt
-head scissors
-half crab
-mexican surfboard variation
-standing spinning heel kick
-tilt-a-whirl backbreaker
-back suplex
-pinning combination that backlund was famous for...eugene actually used in his first match on raw last week to beat rob conway
-standing dropkick
-fisherman suplex pin (ala perfect plex)
-suplex
-lots of kicks to back of the knee throughout the match

the match ended with tiger mask for DQ with interference from this unknown guys manager or partner?? as i said he wore nothing on top, and wore plain black pants in one match and in another match wore black pants with a white line going down the sides...

and from also listening to the announcer a thousand times, his name is pronounced something like...he-rashi, gen-ki...or something like that!?

another thing, in the match against tiger mask, he (the unknown) was the current jr. hvwt champ
crippler_85

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/05/18 Tue 11:42 am

Kuniaki Kobayashi???
edgehead1984

That's who I was thinking.

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/05/18 Tue 2:01 pm

This guy, right?

Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Luds » 2004/05/19 Wed 7:22 am

Sounds like him from the description
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby crippler_85 » 2004/05/19 Wed 11:21 pm

That is the guy. The one things I have a hard time with in puro wrestling is the announcing, because sometimes while the names are being announced the commentators are talking over them...or...they'll say the last name first or vice versa, and it gets somewhat complicated :) Anyways thanks alot for all the info!!!

Was Chris Adams a big draw/name in Puro, he seemed to possibly be an influence of Rob Van Dam or atleast a pioneer in that flashy style!?
crippler_85

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/05/19 Wed 11:37 pm

Nope. Chris Adams was never a big name in Japan.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/05/20 Thu 1:45 pm

FYI, in that match, its Misawa's Tiger Mask and the title is the NWA Intl' Jr. Hywt.
edgehead1984

Next

Return to Japan