Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

WWWF Junior and Lightweight Titles

WWWF Junior and Lightweight Titles

Postby LiquidBliss » 2004/01/20 Tue 3:49 am

I was looking at the old WWWF Junior Heavyweight Title, the version that was held by Tiger Mask and Dynamite Kid among others, and their old Lightweight title, the one that was part of the J-Crown, and they seem to be exactly the same. Has anybody noticed this? If anybody knows anything about this, I would love to hear what the story is.
LiquidBliss

Postby necrosis215 » 2004/01/20 Tue 4:19 am

Okay, first off, they weren't the same title and aren't the same weight category even (refer to weight listing on main site).
The Jr. Heavyweight Title came about first with bouts being sanctioned in and around the Pittsburgh, PA area with Johnny DeFazzio as champion as he rarely, if ever, left that territory during this time.
Now in 1966 Bruno Sammartino took over the Pittsburgh office and reportedly abandoned the title. However, some reports have DeFazzio as champion as late as 1972 (who knows???).
The title would be re-established in 1978 and go on to be defended at the top houses (MSG) in the USA and all over Japan with their soaring Jr. Heavyweight Division (Tiger Mask et. al.) due to the relationship between WWF and NJPW.
The title would have a difficult life, being vacated numerous times until it's demise in 1985 due to the split of WWF and NJPW.

Now, the Light Heavyweight Title was simply a title defended throughout Mexico with the WWF name attached. Currently we have no other information to say otherwise.
Most notable about this title was that in 1996 The Great Sasuke unified it into the J-Crown Title during it's defences in Japan. The J-Crown Champions would fight over this title but it was eventually brought back by the WWF without a champion attached (see lineage and Shinjiro Ohtani).
TAKA Michinoku won the title in tournament final and the title would be an active part of WWF viewing until late (circa. Nov.) 2001. At this point, X-Pac, current champion went "AWOL" (in Mick Foley's words) with the title and thus it was officially abandoned in March 2002. Not been revived since (and I see no reason for it to be with the cruiserweight title on the scene.

Hope that helps.

necrosis215
necrosis215

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/01/20 Tue 7:57 am

The WWF Light Heavyweight was controlled by the old UWA in Mexico.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby necrosis215 » 2004/01/20 Tue 5:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-edgehead1984+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (edgehead1984)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The WWF Light Heavyweight was controlled by the old UWA in Mexico.[/quote]

Thanks man, I knew I would have missed something out. Rushed all that down this morning before heading out to work.

necrosis215
necrosis215

Its not what I meant

Postby LiquidBliss » 2004/01/20 Tue 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=necrosis215]Okay, first off, they weren't the same title and aren't the same weight category even (refer to weight listing on main site).

I know that these titles are not the same. I know the history of both of them. What im referring to is the appearance of the titles. They both look the same for some reason. If you look in the pictures, you will see what im talking about.
LiquidBliss

Postby necrosis215 » 2004/01/21 Wed 2:06 pm

Do look similar. Not the same belt. You'll find that WWWFE had a recurring theme of making all their titles look similar. Practically all the WWWFE World Titles have included the Eagle and most of their tag and other titles have been designed this way also.

necrosis215
necrosis215

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment