Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

How can one fed 'revive' another's title?

Pre-1990 topics only.

How can one fed 'revive' another's title?

Postby Slickster » 2003/10/24 Fri 2:45 pm

I'm told that in Korea, there's a fed that 'revived' the WWA (Los Angeles) World Heavyweight Championship in 2000. More recently, NJPW 'revived' the old NWF World Heavyweight Title. How exactly can they do this? Do they need the physical belt to do it? Do they ask permission of the previous company's operators? I'm just asking to see how these promotions are able to 'revive' titles. Any response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Slickster

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/10/24 Fri 9:42 pm

The NWF championship had been a part of New Japan before it was initially dropped (Inoki bought out Pedro Martinez's Cleveland/Buffalo promotion back in the 70s and took control of the championship), so that revival's legit.

The ones I REALLY can't stand though are when some of the current NWA member promoters try to cash in on the memories and fame of some of the now dead old school territories by supposedly "reviving" championships like the Florida heavyweight title, Mid-Atlantic heavyweight title, etc. and start claiming that they're the exact same championships as the originals just because they now occupy part of that same region or share the same name, even though in reality, they have absolutely, positively, no legitimate link to the original promotions themselves whatsoever aside from the fact that they hold NWA membership. And besides, none of those titles were officially recognized by the NWA itself anyway and were just company championships to begin with.
Dan Poutsma

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2003/10/25 Sat 2:07 am

"Reviving" titles is just a way for new promoters to get more people in seats. If you are looking at title histories from a serious view point, then these "revived" titles would not be the same. But since the whole business is a work, it really does not matter. If you want, you can bring back any title, any one at all. The current NWA groups are trying to bring back the tradition, so they bring back the old titles, they pay a huge amout of money to use the NWA name, so they can create any titles they want as long as they fall into NWA Board rules, and it is an NWA title. So people disagree with me on this, but they tend to forget how much money that promoter paid out just to use the name NWA. So that screams to me that those so called company titles are NWA titles, as long as the promoter is paying his dues.
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Postby Slickster » 2003/10/27 Mon 7:23 am

So basically what you're saying is that if I really wanted to I could just 'revive' the old...Central States Title, for example...call myself champion, and that would be all right? Cool. :)

What are the NWA Board's rules for creating a title, anyway?
Slickster

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2003/10/27 Mon 8:36 pm

Well, first you would have to be a member of the NWA, and of course, there is already a Central States champion in NWA Midwest. I am currently talking to NWA members about title policies, as this paticular issue is of sme importance to me and looks to be important to others as well. I do not want to see the days of seven NWA World Tag team champions like back in the 60's and 70's. I think that if you want to have your title be an NWA title, you should have it registered with the board, so that there will not be others claiming to have the title.
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Postby Slickster » 2003/10/30 Thu 11:38 am

What about titles outside the NWA's jurisdiction? How can a promotion do that?
Slickster

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2003/12/12 Fri 8:57 am

I wonder why no one rivived the World Brass Knuckles Heavyweight Title. It was the most legit hardcore title ever...
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

Postby Peru-Yakuza » 2003/12/12 Fri 12:35 pm

Goro Tsurumi revived the old Kokusai/IWE titles in his Kokusai Promotion...
MÁMENME EL BICHO TODOS LOS FANS DE LA WWE!
Peru-Yakuza

Postby shaka » 2003/12/14 Sun 2:26 am

You also have to bear in mind that the promotions during the territories weren't the same as the ones in the independents. Most of the promoters at the time of the territories were all members of the NWA, and controlled each piece of territory as well as that particular title (Don Owen in the Pacific Northwest, Jack Adkisson, aka Fritz von Erich in Texas, Jim Crockett in the Mid Atlantic, Jim Barnett in Atlanta, and so on) when the territories eventually started losing business (due to a culmination of events, namely the strategic talent raids by Vince K McMahon, financial downturns in certain areas that kept fans from affording to attend shows, inability to compete with McMahon, whose brand-name product of the WWF, was reaching larger audience due to an expansive media spread via national syndication and mass marketing to children, which was unprecedented) I digress however. since most of the original promoters are no longer in control and the NWA in no longer the beast it was, it was still possible to revive the titles (of course, I don't think I can see the Central States, Western States Heritage or Mid-Atlantic titles staging comebacks any time soon)as long as the existing governing body of the NWA approved of it. Considering that the titles themselves aren't what they really are (title psychology is easier to figure out than the psych of a match. Let's face it, it's all a work, after all) it's really double think, but what do I know?
KEIN MEHREIT FUR DIE MITLEID...
shaka

Postby edgehead1984 » 2003/12/14 Sun 10:20 am

Both the Central States titles and the Mid-Atlantic titles have been revived by NWA promoters in the last couple of years.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby shaka » 2003/12/14 Sun 7:29 pm

I think the FMW tried to continue the title with their version.
shaka

Postby shaka » 2003/12/14 Sun 7:31 pm

i keep forgetting about that... Must be the downside of being on the East Coast...
shaka

Postby Slickster » 2004/04/07 Wed 7:53 pm

BTW, when I said 'the Central States title,' I meant like the old World Wrestling Alliance (Kansas) title, not the NWA version.

So basically, you can revive a title as long as the company is dead? That's my understanding from what's been said so far.
Slickster

Postby phil » 2004/06/13 Sun 12:08 am

Here is my take on this whole thing. If you look at the liniages on this site to some of the NWA Titles. Like florida, mid atlantic, Texas, and Georgia. Seeing as how the old Georgia and Mid Atlantic titles were abandoned well over twenty years ago and brought back within the last five or six years I don't see any right or reason to claim that they are the original titles. Now in the case or the Florida and Texas Heavweight Titles there is not really a significant break in liniage to argue that the current promoters can't claim liniage. I think that there was only a two year span of in activity for the Florida title. and the Texas Title while controlled by several differant promotions during the 80's and early 90's has been active since day one. Now I havn't looked at the liniages in a while so if I am mistaken someone by all means correct me.

Phil
phil

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/06/13 Sun 7:22 am

But I also have a note on some of the listings saying that the different versions may not be connected to each other.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Next

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General