Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Title Changes That Didn't Happen

Pre-1990 topics only.

Title Changes That Didn't Happen

Postby benny4real » 2002/02/06 Wed 9:10 am

Hi

I am looking for title changes that were overturned or ignored.

for example

1] Hulk Hogan won the AWA World Heavyweight Title from Nick Bockwinkle and the decision was overturned because he threw Bockwinkle over the top rope during the match.

2] Chris Jericho wins the WWF World Heavyweight Title from Triple H but Triple H complains about a fast count and forces referee Earl Hebner to return the title to him.

3] Chris Jericho loses the WCW TV title to Konnan but complains, reenacts the whole incident rediculously, complains some more and so on, and so on, until he got the title back

these are obvious one's and I am aware of a few others but there must be others that I don't know about.

Any help with my question will be mutch apreciated.

Thank You.
benny4real

Postby Peru-Yakuza » 2002/02/06 Wed 9:40 am

in 1990, the Midnight Rockers (Michaels and Jannetty) won the WWF tag team title from Hart Foundation (Neidhart & Bret Hart) but WWF figurehead president Jack Tunney overturned the change because the top rope had come off all turnbuckles during the match's final stages.
MÁMENME EL BICHO TODOS LOS FANS DE LA WWE!
Peru-Yakuza

thanks to all

Postby benny4real » 2002/02/11 Mon 7:24 am

Thank you for replying

Your effort is much appreciated and a big help.

Thank You
benny4real

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/03/02 Sat 10:03 pm

Well Benny, looks like I've got info for another one of your history posts:D

One that comes to mind was Terry Funk beating Lance Storm for the US/"Canadian" Title in summer of 2000(it was the show they ran in Amarillo that he won the belt on.) He jobbed the belt back back to Storm at another house show 2 days later and there was no mention of it on TV. Just giving the Funker a little title win in his hometown. Of course, if they were doing a ghost change anyway, why couldn't it have just been the World Title?

Of course there's the WCW Cruiserweight Title change I mentioned in your other post, but that I couldn't give you names or dates on :(

Depending on what you mean by "phantom" title changes there could also be companies that ran in multiple cities and did the same title change at every city so everyone sees the title change(ie job the title in Nashville, drive to Knoxville, job it there, onto the next town...) I think it was either Smokey Mountain or USWA who used to do that a lot. There was also another company that did that Foley mentioned in his first book but the promotion eludes me right now(the story had to do with a fan of his who tried to call him on wrestling being fake since he already lost the Tag Titles 3 times that week).

If I come up with anything else I'll drop another post for ya.
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Postby GreatMuta423 » 2002/03/03 Sun 8:55 pm

phantom title changes were big back in the day.every town seen the title change, then it was seen on tv. easy way to make a lot of money
MUTA aka The results guy!
GreatMuta423

Postby Famine » 2002/03/06 Wed 5:43 pm

I believe it was in either 97 or 98 when Chris Benoit and Booker T were fueding over the WCW Television Title. On two consecutive house shows, Chris Benoit defeated Booker T for the title and then dropped the title two nights later with no mention on television of the switch ever happening. It is a shame because I believe that was Benoit's first title in WCW.
"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in <br>her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car." <br> <br>"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." <br>George Carlin
Famine

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/03/06 Wed 9:37 pm

Actually, I know for a fact that those title changes were mentioned on WCW Worldwide, because I remember watching it(what can I say, I needed wrestling and didn't have cable). As far as being mentioned anywhere else, that I couldn't tell you...
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Postby Famine » 2002/03/06 Wed 10:19 pm

You are right, because the Nitro after the title change there was no mention of it what so ever. I waited all night for Schavonie to say that Benoit captured the title. But alas, all I got was Fit Finley doing a run in on Benoit.
"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in <br>her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car." <br> <br>"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." <br>George Carlin
Famine

Postby Americancyco » 2002/03/11 Mon 6:50 pm

I know the Rougue(sp) Brothers won the WWF Tag titles from the Hart FOundation (durign their first ran) in Canada. They used the megophone for the win. But the next day the WWF reversed the results giving the belts back to the Hart Foundation.
And you see me with a smile on my face <br>And you know I'm a mental case
Americancyco

lots of new informtion

Postby benny4real » 2002/03/13 Wed 5:46 am

Thnks for all the info some of the chnges mentioned i had allready herd about but didn't have any acurate info on. some of the changes i had no idea about (Rougue / Hart Foundation, Alex Wright / Hogan, Rhodes / Landell) nd I had heard about repedative changes in USWA and SMW but noting certain, if anyone has definit dates places etc. it would be much apreciated

Thank You for all the help so far it's been really helpfull
benny4real

Flair jobs belt to Piper??

Postby Ganso » 2002/03/18 Mon 4:33 am

I remember several years ago in a magazine I happened to see a picture of Roddy Piper holding the Intercontinental championship (he was the current champion at the time) AND the World Heavyweight title while celebrating outside of a steel cage. So I assumed the fact that he defeated Ric Flair for it because they both won AND lost there titles on the same PPV's (Royal Rumble '92 and Wrestlemainia 8). Does anyone else remember this or was this a really weird dream of mine??
"Impossible is a word in the dictionary of fools."- Napolean Bonaparte <br> <br>"You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind."
Ganso

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/03/18 Mon 11:42 am

I don't remember that personally, and it's the first time I've ever heard of Piper going over Flair for the world title. If that ever happened I think we'd all be in a lot of trouble. Although I do remember Flair beating Hogan for the strap at a house show, being handed the belt and then another referee came in to DQ Flair. Maybe something like happened with Flair and Piper at a house show.
Tradewynd

Next

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General