Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

US Title

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

US Title

Postby ChrisR » 2003/08/06 Wed 3:06 am

I'm confused about the NWA US title.......the history here reads that Harley Race is the first champion, yet gives it an asterisk, which would indicate that it was fictitious. Anyone have the exact story on that one?
ChrisR

Postby Peru-Yakuza » 2003/08/06 Wed 9:20 am

As with Pat Patterson and the I-C title, it was probably just awarded to him but billed as having won a tournament.
MÁMENME EL BICHO TODOS LOS FANS DE LA WWE!
Peru-Yakuza

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/08/06 Wed 3:00 pm

Jim Crockett Promotions brought him in billed as the United States heavyweight champion with the explanation that he had beaten Johnny Valentine for it in the finals of a (ficticious) tournament in Tallahassee, FL.

I think the title was initially created by JCP booker George Scott mainly as a way to further elevate the already growing legend of JV, as he ended up winning it shortly thereafter. Unfortunately though, that plan would come to a screeching halt a few short months later when he was involved in the plane crash (along with Flair, David Crockett, Tim Woods, and Bob Bruggers) that ended his career.
Dan Poutsma

Postby edgehead1984 » 2003/08/06 Wed 10:27 pm

I've always seen Johnny Weaver as being the man who Race defeated, or is Weaver and Valentine one and the same.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/08/06 Wed 10:55 pm

You're right. I stand corrected; it was Johnny Weaver. Just had Valentine on the brain at the time I was typing it.

And no, they're definitely not the same person.
Dan Poutsma

Postby ChrisR » 2003/08/06 Wed 11:15 pm

thanks Peru, Dan, and Edgehead for the elaboration...........and once again, dare I say, thanks to the powers that be for an excellent wrestling website....:)

I guess it was one of those kinda Buddy Rogers phantom tournament kinda things..........

hell........I could post my ramblings on the whole WWE/WCW title lineage here maybe.......I do have some differing opinions there........I might just do so......
ChrisR

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance