Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

NWA pre-48

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

NWA pre-48

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/11/06 Wed 5:18 pm

I was combing the Lou Thesz Forum over on the Wrestling Classics site, when I came across a thread containing some interesting info pertaining to the history of the National Wrestling Alliance.

Various articles and results taken from the Des Moines, IA Register list Orville Brown as defending the NWA heavyweight title as early as January 1947. It was even said at one point that he had held the title for seven consecutive years before finally dropping it to Sonny Myers in November 1947. He would subsequently regain it two months later.

All of this seems to indicate that P.L. "Pinkie" George, who was the promoter in Des Moines and the first President of the NWA, had been running shows under the National Wrestling Alliance banner with Brown as his champion long before the cooperative that we are all familiar with today was officially formed. In July 1948, it appears that all of the other promoters like Sam Muchnick, Max Clayton, Tony Stecher, etc. decided to join up with him and turn the organization into an actual coalition of territories as opposed to just a single promotion. If this is indeed the case, it certainly puts a whole new spin on things.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/11/06 Wed 6:37 pm

I still think those two are different organizations under the same name, but it's very interesting to find out there's a possiblity that they MAY share the title lineage.

Here's the thread from WrestlingClassics.com:
<a href='http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000962' target='_blank'>http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbc...c;f=10;t=000962</a>
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/11/06 Wed 7:40 pm

Hisa,

That wasn't the thread I was referring to. Check out the topic entitled "Howard Cantonwine".
Dan Poutsma

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2003/05/07 Wed 11:37 pm

Thanks to Payton, I've been getting more info on this issue. Please check the NWA section on wrestling-titles.com .
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2003/05/10 Sat 12:05 am

Please read the whole thread AND another thread mentioned.

We're talking about the pre-48 National Wrestling Alliance, not Association.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance