Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Most Important title today

Pre-1990 topics only.

cont....

Postby GlobalHonored » 2003/03/24 Mon 11:44 am

--->Which brings me to NOAH. This relatively new promotion and its title that was established by legitimate tournament that saw current NWF champ Takayama fall to legend Misawa gave belt immediate credibility. Ogawa? Well, there has to be something lost in that but I believe was redeemed by Takayama getting belt then Misawa agaian then now after a legendary, All Japan prime style title battle between Kobashi & Misawa, the GHC has become what the triple crown was, the top belt in the land. Hopefully a 5/2 defense against NJ legend Chono will further advance this belt's importance.
GlobalHonored

Postby El Fiasco » 2003/04/10 Thu 6:58 pm

I know this thread is super old, but it really felt good to read those anti-Jericho comments. I can't honestly think of a wrestler whose match quality declined as quickly as Chris Jericho. He's absolutely worthless now, I don't know why so many people worship the guy.

And to me, all the WWF/E titles have been involved in too many non-finishes and 'screw jobs' to be considered the most prestigious. Lots of bad champions too (Big Show immediately comes to mind).

The Triple Crown, in my opinion, is THE title in wrestling. Nothing can beat it as far as shear prestige and importance go.
I have seen the face of Satan, and his name is Bill Apter.
El Fiasco

Postby Luds » 2003/04/12 Sat 12:33 pm

I agree with Fiasco, the WWE title is crap...

Now, I'd have to say that the IWGP title is tops now, but in the past, it was the TC for sure... However, since the NOAH split, the TC doesn't seem that important anymore...

I mean... Arashi got a shot!!! COME ON!
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby El Fiasco » 2003/04/12 Sat 1:18 pm

Originally posted by Luds

Now, I'd have to say that the IWGP title is tops now, but in the past, it was the TC for sure... However, since the NOAH split, the TC doesn't seem that important anymore...  

I mean... Arashi got a shot!!! COME ON!

True, but both Kawada and Kojima were promised title shots today... :D
El Fiasco

Postby Luds » 2003/04/14 Mon 9:17 am

Hey... as long as one of tyhem wins!
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Its too late but..

Postby Daishikaze » 2003/04/14 Mon 10:09 am

I would go for the TC. if it was still active, I would put the J Crown there too, because that is an awesome feat holding 8 titles.

Actually since the WWE losers don't use the WWF light heavyweight title anymore, can't they hold another J Crown tourny or something? or has Vince burned the belt and whizzed on the ashes already?
Daishikaze

Postby phil » 2003/04/15 Tue 1:56 pm

X-Pac sold the belt at an auction or something like that. But he was the last person to have possession of the belt. They could also just put another title in its place.
phil

Postby El Fiasco » 2003/04/15 Tue 4:17 pm

Hopefully nobody bid over $2.50 for that meaningless title...other than TAKA and Malenko I don't think anyone worthwhile held it since they brought it back.
El Fiasco

Postby Daishikaze » 2003/04/19 Sat 6:32 am

Jerry Lynn and Tajiri held it

and to stay on topic, I think that the WWE title shouldn't be on here because it is worthless the prestige is gone forever from that title.
Daishikaze

Postby SportsEntertainment » 2003/04/23 Wed 5:33 pm

The WWF title is worthless? :confused: Please explain to me how the longest consecutively defended U.S./Canada title, and top strap of the largest and most proftitable wrestling company in the world, and probably ever in history (how many other wrestling companies can you name that have had their stock publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange?), is worthless.
SportsEntertainment

Postby GlobalHonored » 2003/04/23 Wed 5:39 pm

Vince McMahon won it. He was WWF Champion. If that doesn't legitamize a title, i can't tell you what would. Oh yeah, Warrior won it too!
GlobalHonored

Postby SportsEntertainment » 2003/04/23 Wed 6:24 pm

Vince McMahon was bigger then most of his own wrestlers at the time. He made the title what it is. His feud with Austin led to the late '90s glory period. He also was the focal point of the promotion, which was doing record business at the time.
So I don't think it was to much to ask of him to have a 4 day title reign, that he won on a fluke anways.

He also elevated HHH to main event status (finally) during their feud.

As for the Warrior, He was a pathetic wrestler, but he did help draw the 2nd highest attendence at the time, and highest company live gate which stood for over 10 years.
SportsEntertainment

Postby GlobalHonored » 2003/04/23 Wed 6:30 pm

That's great & all, but one thing about Vince McMahon that would make him unworthy of being a champion: HE'S NOT A WRESTLER!

By putting sports entertainers at the forefront of a promotion, including non-wrestlers or "wrestlers" who are skilled on the mic but not in the ring, and crowning them champs, obviously the legitamacy of the title will be questioned and devalued in the eyes of those who actually appreciate the sport for more than just t.v. skits, promos & catchphrases. Who did Vinnie Mac defeat to climb the ladder of competition to earn such a title shot?
GlobalHonored

Postby El Fiasco » 2003/04/23 Wed 9:25 pm

Not to be rude, but I don't see how anyone can think Vince McMahon is anything more than a glorified carnival barker, and his title is anything more than a decoration on the latest 'flavour of the week' main eventer.

And Tajiri and Jerry Lynn's title reigns were too short to amount to anything. They didn't have any worthwhile opponants anyway.
El Fiasco

Postby SportsEntertainment » 2003/04/24 Thu 3:56 pm

Even Dave Meltzer agrees with me on this one. In his newsletter, a few weeks ago he said "ever since Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan started touring the U.S. the WWF world title has become the major title in North America" or somtihing to that effect.
BTW in this weeks issue he fianally has part 3 of the history of the WWF title, the artice is 11 pages long! it's a must read.
SportsEntertainment

PreviousNext

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General