Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Iwe

Also visit "Puroresu Dojo Forum".

Iwe

Postby Souder » 2003/01/12 Sun 10:28 pm

Can anybody tell me the history behind it. Like debut card-final card, wrestlers (natives/gaijins), titles, tournaments, and so on.
Souder

Postby Peru-Yakuza » 2003/01/13 Mon 12:05 pm

Titles are, of course, shown in the IWE section.

From what I can see I can determine that at one point they cooperated with both All-Japan and New Japan. Kotetsu Yamamoto & Kantaro Hoshino (New Japan) held their IWA tag titles, while IWE members Mighty Inoue & Animal Hamaguchi held All-Japan's Asian tag titles.

Gaijins- you can determine them from the title listings.
Umanosuke Ueda, who once held the IWA heavyweight title, was a freelancer. So were Hiro Matsuda and Kintaro Oki, who briefly came to defend NWA titles.

Major native talent were: (which I know from the listings)
Toyonobori (retired in 1970)
Thunder Sugiyama (left in 1972 to found All-Japan)
Strong Kobayashi (jumped to New Japan in 1974, briefly returned to win IWE tag titles with New Japan native Haruka Eigen in 1980)
Mighty Inoue
Rusher Kimura
Great Kusatsu
Animal Hamaguchi
Chunji Tanaka (first junior ace)
Isamu Teranishi (succeeded him, but division remained underdeveloped)
Ashura Hara
Goro Tsurumi
Hiromichi Fuyuki
Apollo Sugawara

After IWE closed down in 1981, Inoue, Hara, Fuyuki, Tsurumi, and Sugawara joined All-Japan, while Kimura, Hamaguchi, and Teranishi joined New Japan.

The only IWE alumni still active that I know of are Kimura, Fuyuki, Sugawara, and Tsurumi. Kimura, of course is in NOAH; Fuyuki runs WEW. Sugawara is a regular freelancer for Hokkaido-based Asian Sports.

And Tsurumi runs his own Kokusai Promotion, which is his own tribute to the old IWE (in Japanese, Kokusai means International, the first I in IWE). The heavyweight title uses the old IWE IWA belt (even though in the IWE days the belt's appearance actually changed several times). Since the old IWE was the era's king of gimmicks, the Kokusai of today employs them by the tens. Of course, there could be only a few people portraying them...
MÁMENME EL BICHO TODOS LOS FANS DE LA WWE!
Peru-Yakuza

Return to Japan