Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

WWE tag title

WWE tag title

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/11/09 Sat 10:29 am

The WWE tag title is listed on this site as a world title. Should it be? I mean, WWE already has a WWE World tag title, which is defended on Raw. It's unlogical for a company to have two world tag titles. Does WWE itself actually recognize the new WWE tag title as a world title?
<b>TJ/Kiseki, The Netherlands <br>Watching wrestling since 1987 <br>Online since 1995</b>
TJ Vermeer

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/11/09 Sat 3:15 pm

Here's the way I look at the current title situation in
WWE.

RAW:
(WWE) World heavyweight title
(WWE) World tag team title
WWE Women's World title

*The last championship is still referred to in ring intros as the "WWE Women's title", but Jim Ross now refers to it as the "Women's World title", or vice versa.

SmackDown!:
WWE (World heavyweight) title
WWE (World) tag team title
WWE (World) Cruiserweight title

So basically, I don't think it really matters. All of the SmackDown! titles are called "WWE", while all of the RAW titles are just called "World" (with the exception of the Women's championship). If you think that the tag title on SmackDown! shouldn't be recognized as a "world" title on this site, then you might as well drop that recognition from their Heavyweight and Cruiserweight titles as well since they aren't openly billed as "world" titles either.
Dan Poutsma

Postby dugong2100 » 2002/11/11 Mon 6:05 pm

i just have to say that the wwe has completely ruined the title histories of every title. that being said, it seems like they are also contradictory. stephanie mcmahon specifically said that the smackdown wwe tag titles are "brand new" championships. Yet on the 11/7 smackdown, michael cole said that the last time Edge had held the wwe tag titles was with Hollywood Hogan, which are actually now the World Tag titles on Raw....that being said, maybe stephanie meant that the belts themselves are brand new but the title history is connected to the World Tag titles, and that since according to storyline, her show is the WWE so she can effectively strip the Raw wrestlers of the WWE aspect of their title. confusing isnt it, i just wish they would come up with some definitive answer
dugong2100

Postby DANGEROUS DAN » 2002/11/11 Mon 10:07 pm

I may be new but titlle history is something I know something about. Honestly, McMahon is promoting entertainment and not professional wrestling. He title histories as mentioned above have been ruined and the belts themselves have no prestige. They are not protected and are used as props.

They feed the egos of the marks within the buisness (HHH) who do nothing to raise the bar like the pro wrestlers they emulate.:P
FAITH in HIM is the refusal to panic. <br> GOT JESUS?
DANGEROUS DAN

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/11/12 Tue 9:54 am

Maybe, even though technically Edge did last hold the World Tag Titles w/ Hogan, since it was on Smackdown at the time they consider it the WWE Tag Titles:confused:
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby scottramsdell » 2002/11/24 Sun 2:48 pm

i agree the WWE has ruined wrestling but i do have to say the new TAG belts that Jericho and Christian have look awsome
scottramsdell

Postby DANGEROUS DAN » 2002/11/24 Sun 8:19 pm

The design of the plates are not bad. To me, they do not look as good as the Reggie Parks design that they replaced. As for the new belts, the leather work sux, the engraving in thin and the backing are also subpar in quaity. Typical JMAR trash.
DANGEROUS DAN

pictures

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/11/25 Mon 6:40 am

Could someone send me pictures of the new RAW and SD tag belts? Thanks, TJ
<b>TJ/Kiseki, The Netherlands <br>Watching wrestling since 1987 <br>Online since 1995</b>
TJ Vermeer

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/11/25 Mon 6:42 am

My address \[EMAIL=vermeer_tj@yahoo.com\]vermeer_tj@yahoo.com\[/EMAIL\] :)
TJ Vermeer

Postby DANGEROUS DAN » 2002/11/25 Mon 7:37 pm

TJ I do not know if they are posted but the belts were made by JMAR. Check his site and see what you can find.
DANGEROUS DAN

Postby Vertigo » 2002/12/12 Thu 1:32 pm

while the prestige of all WWE titles has been lost by this confusing problem, I must say that until David Arquette holds one of the titles, there still have some prestige.
Watching Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table- Weezer "El Scorcho"
Vertigo

Postby bpwwrestling » 2002/12/21 Sat 2:54 pm

David Arquette has held some portion of the lineage of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (Smackdown). That is the title that was undisputed. It became undisputed by unifying the WWE World Title and the WCW World Title. David Arquette held the WCW World Title. I try really hard to forget that, but it's like I can't get it out of my mind. Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
bpwwrestling

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/12/21 Sat 5:29 pm

Originally posted by bpwwrestling
David Arquette has held some portion of the lineage of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (Smackdown).  That is the title that was undisputed.  It became undisputed by unifying the WWE World Title and the WCW World Title.  David Arquette held the WCW World Title.  I try really hard to forget that, but it's like I can't get it out of my mind.  Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Actually, since their "official" stand is that the World heavyweight title on RAW is the old WCW title (unified with the WWF/E championship last year to form the "Undisputed" title, and then "un-unified" with it by proclamation of Eric Bischoff this past September), Arquette would've held that particular championship.
Dan Poutsma

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/12/21 Sat 5:52 pm

When and where did WWE say the RAW title is the former WCW title?
TJ Vermeer

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/12/21 Sat 6:54 pm

Originally posted by TJ Vermeer
When and where did WWE say the RAW title is the former WCW title?

You don't recall the piece they did on Confidential about the so-called "history" of the World heavyweight title shortly after Bischoff awarded the belt to Triple H? All the BS about how the NWA World title "became" the WCW World title, which is now supposedly the same championship held by Triple H and all of that?
Dan Poutsma

Next

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment