Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

24/7 titles

24/7 titles

Postby Hijo de Carlos » 2002/10/16 Wed 7:05 am

Hope this on the right board.....

Does anyone know if the WWF Hardcore title was the first ever "24/7 title"? When they first introduced that rule I thought it was a brillantly inventive idea, but was it actually original or did they just nick it from somewhere else...?
Like comics? Then check out http://www.1000AD.tk
Hijo de Carlos

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/11/04 Mon 11:28 am

The 24/7 rule was Russo's idea(pretty sure it was Russo, maybe Gerwertz) as a short term thing to get Crash Holly over as a comedy act. It was supposed to be short term and the title was supposed to return to normal. Sadly, it got over as a concept and we started seeing 4 or 5 title changes in one show, totally killing what little credibility the title had. Instead of getting just Crash over as a comedy act, the got the whole title over as a comedy act. They tried to put some credibility into it with RVD and Undertaker's long reigns, and it took another credible turn being put on Tommy Dreamer, but they pulled the plug after making Dreamer that custom belt with the New York license plate. I'll bet that was more information than you were asking for.
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Postby scottramsdell » 2002/11/24 Sun 3:15 pm

when did they give dreammer that belt i missed that one
scottramsdell

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/11/24 Sun 9:08 pm

Dreamer held the title multiple times at house shows. His final reign started on a house show(when the custom belt was made) but was only seen on TV once. It was the match where he jobbed to RVD to unify the Hardcore Title with the IC Title.
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment