Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

British titles?

British titles?

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/02/06 Wed 2:36 pm

So, FWA is the biggest in UK right now. I hear that the long-lived All-Star Promotions started recognizing FWA's Bristish Heavyweight title. However, according to <a href='http://fp.wrestalliance.plus.com/britishtitlehistories.htm' target='_blank'>this site</a>, a group called "The Wrestling Alliance" is claiming the lineage of old All-Star titles.

Anybody can explain this confusion in detail?
Hisaharu Tanabe

Here's how I see it

Postby Mikey Freedom » 2002/02/28 Thu 9:44 am

Tonight, All Star are going to reinstate the British Heavyweight Title, British tag Titles, and the British Women's Title(At least that was what was originally billed a few weeks ago). All-Star's problem is that in terms of name-value, they are miles behind the NWA, and even further behind the FWA. The TWA have claimed the British titles, as no one else has, and they have tried to push it as the real deal, but their basis in fact is very disputable. I would say that if and when All-Star bring the belts back, the TWA will try and get All-Star to allow them to run title matches. A unified British Title would be a great thing to have again, but the FWA and NWA titles are right now, bigger commodities to control. Plus, like the NWA World crown, bad things can happen with a unified title like the Steele/Corino/Hashimoto mess.

In my eyes, Doug Williams is the British Heavyweight Champion, holding the FWA version. As of right now, the TWA does hold the rightful British titles at lower weights(James Mason at middleweight,Jonny Storm at welterweight) as no on else currently lays claim to them. But it's all just a big mess, and now All Star will lay a 3rd claim to the British heavyweight title. Who knows where this will go.
Mikey Freedom

Re: Here's how I see it

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/03/11 Mon 6:20 pm

Originally posted by Mikey Freedom
Tonight, All Star are going to reinstate the British Heavyweight Title, British tag Titles, and the British Women's Title(At least that was what was originally billed a few weeks ago).

So, what happened on this card? I tried to search for the results, but I couldn't find any mention of the titles.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Mikey Freedom » 2003/12/15 Mon 6:52 am

Hisaharu Tanabe wrote:So, what happened on this card? I tried to search for the results, but I couldn't find any mention of the titles.

It's all become a moot point, as the Universal British Heavyweight Title has slowly been falling into oblivion, not even being recognized by most of the representative promotions that took part in the tournament to crown the champion(I believe Doug Williams won it, but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone can correct me)

Title-wise, British wrestling is an absolute mess. I'm currently compiling a list of all the current championships in the UK which I'll post here when it's done, and if anything, it's showing the fact that Britain is going distinctly territorial, with so many promotions now running regularly in the UK claiming British and/or world titles with no basis in fact or legitimacy. Several promotions have the talent to expand, but lack of attendances and/or finances are holding them back. Only the FWA and NWA-Hammerlock are making any sort of expansionist strides, with the FWA recently promoting as far north as the Midlands, and Hammerlock opening a school and running shows in Ireland, as well as opening a school in Wales in the past few weeks.
Mikey Freedom

Postby necrosis215 » 2004/01/17 Sat 10:21 pm

I recently attended an All-Star Promotions promoted card in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, in which the joint-main event was All-Star Promotions Peoples' Champion Johnny Storm vs. "The Anarchist" Doug Williams. Storm retained via pinfall. Later that night a battle royal was held for the right to face Gangrel (from WWE) at the next show in Hanley. Willaims won that, but the title wasn't on the line.
Anyway, no mention was made of Doug being the British, UK, FWA, Universal or any other kind of champion. We're having a training seminar from Doug on 8th Feb. so I'll ask him about what he's actually recognised as at the moment...

Will let you know.

necrosis215
necrosis215

Postby Russ L » 2004/03/03 Wed 5:37 pm

Was anything established?
Russ L

Postby davidmantell » 2004/04/10 Sat 5:21 pm

TWA no longer exists (in the UK anyway) - promoter Scott Conway has emigrated to Thailand, where he has set up shop as a wrestling promoter over there. So that was the end of the TWA and Universal versions.

Robbie Brookside defeated Doug Williams for the All-Star British Heavyweight title at a major show in Liverpool (Robbie's hometown!) in September 2002 and has defended it sporadically since.

WAW keeps its title going but tends to treat it more as a company title rather than a British Title. Premier has always recognised only company titles.

RBW, a New Wave Of Old School type promotion, has stepoped into the Brit Welterweight and Brit Middleweight breaches following the demise of TWA, but AFAIK doesn't have a British Heavyweight title of its own.

NWA Hammerlock recognises a UK title not a British one.

The FWA (despite the hype!) has only just recently re-emerged from several months' hibernation. :rolleyes:

So at the moment Robbie Brookside and the All-Star title get the nod. He's not quite undisputed Brit Hwt champ but he's certainly the most predominant one.

Doug Williams' All Star Peoples' Championship (as mentioned by necrosis) is nothing whatsoever to do with the British Heavyweight title.

It replaced the World Heavy-Middleweight title. "American Dragon" Brian Danielson won that title last year. That belt was vacant after backstage All-Star commisioner and former champ (undefeated champ since '92) Frank 'Chic' Cullen retired and decided he wanted to have his old title of 11 years carry on after him.

The title was to have been shared between All Star, Stampede and some Puro indies, but after this fell apart, All Star renamed the title the "People's championship", had Dragon job the repackaged title to Williams and announced that henceforth, all Williams' challengers would be nominated by the fans via write-in vote.
davidmantell

Postby Russ L » 2004/10/02 Sat 1:32 pm

RBW are currently in the midst of a tournament to crown a 'British Heavyweight Champion.'

The plot thickens.

<a href='http://revolutionbritishwrestling.co.uk/news/show_headlines.php' target='_blank'>http://revolutionbritishwrestling.co.uk/ne...w_headlines.php</a>?
Russ L

Postby davidmantell » 2004/10/03 Sun 2:53 pm

Robbie Brookside, the current All-Star champion is entered into RBW's tournament. I'm hoping he'll win so we'll have a dominant All-Star/RBW champion.

I've been working on an improved version of the British Heavyweight title page to take account of all the various schizms etc (as well as some title changes in All Star from 97-01 which are omitted from the existing page for some reason.) I shall email Hisa with it when I'm finished.

P.S. I've sent it off now. Hope you like it, Hisa.
davidmantell

Return to Europe