Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

RAW's championship, a new championship!

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/09/16 Mon 6:39 am

Rex, they are using the real belt and it indeed WAS bent at the top... The belt Jarrett used and Hogan got to take him is a releathered Fig. Inc. replica belt... LOL
<b>TJ/Kiseki, The Netherlands <br>Watching wrestling since 1987 <br>Online since 1995</b>
TJ Vermeer

Postby Rex Idol » 2002/09/16 Mon 8:17 pm

Really?!? That's hilarious! :P
Rex Idol

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/17 Tue 4:11 pm

Hah well, I hope the WWE are sued, and lose.
ElGringo

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/18 Wed 7:05 am

Again, the Raw championship is a new title until the relaunch of WCW when they can officially re-align it with the WCW title lineage
JustS2pendous

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/09/18 Wed 10:11 am

Originally posted by Dan Poutsma
You sure it's a replica?  I read that's it's the original, but with a facelift.

Yeahp, thats true. It is the same belt thats been in use since the Big Gold was brought into inception, as far as my knowledge goes. Beofre the WWE buyout, WCW had it replated and releathered, giving it more "bright gold" complexion, but its the same belt.

Joe P.
DaKrow52

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/09/18 Wed 10:12 am

Yep, I, too, believe eventually the World heavyweight title, will be billed, once again, as the WCW title... That's why it's now called just the World heavyweight title and not the WWE RAW title, IMHO.

TJ
<b>TJ/Kiseki, The Netherlands <br>Watching wrestling since 1987 <br>Online since 1995</b>
TJ Vermeer

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/09/18 Wed 10:18 am

Originally posted by Americancyco
No I missed that, and I agree they have tons of pics why alter one? But then again that WCW belt was hidious, can you really blame them?

That's almost as bad as when Ric Flair was walking around the WWF with one of the Tag Team titles as his "real world heavyweight title"

Well, he had to do that because of the whole NWA/WCW/WWF lawsuit, plus Ric (by that time) had sold the belt back to Turner for some ridiculous price (I think between $30-40,000; his original $25,000 NWA World Title deposit, plus interest, because the belt was actually *HIS* belt; Corckett gave it to him as a gift), so thats when the whole video distortion thing started. Actually, that tag design belt REALLY was a "World" title; Vince had Reggie Parks (the WWF beltmaker from the early 80's through 1997) make him a World title in the Tag belt design (It just said "World....Wrestling Champion"...where it usually said "tag Team" on the belt, there were three gold stars...Ive seen a pic of it before; will try to locate it again).
Joe P.
DaKrow52

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/09/18 Wed 10:23 am

Originally posted by TJ Vermeer
Rex, they are using the real belt and it indeed WAS bent at the top... The belt Jarrett used and Hogan got to take him is a releathered Fig. Inc. replica belt... LOL

Actually, WCW had the original "casted" by the WCW prop guy, and they used the mold to make the "Hulk Hogan Memorial Belt". They had the cast plated, then put on leather by the WCW prop guy. Doing this was cheaper than having another Big Gold made the standard way (which is a long process), and WCW was seriously hurtin for money at that point, so they couldnt justify spending another $2K (which is basically a standard price for a belt the size of the Big gold) on a title belt. By the way, so you all know Im not making this up:-P, I found it out from talking to the staff at JMar Championship Belts (they currently make WWE's belts, and was the WCW beltmaker from 1995-2001, and ECW's from 1997/98-2001).
DaKrow52

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/09/18 Wed 11:36 am

I thought Brian said on the "Championship Belt Collectors" forum that Joe thinks it's a Fig. replica belt...

Betweenfalls
TJ Vermeer

Yeah, but later he changed the story

Postby DaKrow52 » 2002/09/18 Wed 12:03 pm

He did say that. At first Joe did think it was a releathered Fig inc replica. But about a month or two ago, Brian posted the revised version (I think him or Joe talked to the old WCW prop guy and asked him about it, and then he told them what I posted before).
Joe P.
DaKrow52

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/09/18 Wed 1:45 pm

Originally posted by DaKrow52
Well, he had to do that because of the whole NWA/WCW/WWF lawsuit, plus Ric (by that time) had sold the belt back to Turner for some ridiculous price (I think between $30-40,000; his original $25,000 NWA World Title deposit, plus interest, because the belt was actually *HIS* belt; Corckett gave it to him as a gift), so thats when the whole video distortion thing started. Actually, that tag design belt REALLY was a "World" title; Vince had Reggie Parks (the WWF beltmaker from the early 80's through 1997) make him a World title in the Tag belt design (It just said "World....Wrestling Champion"...where it usually said "tag Team" on the belt, there were three gold stars...Ive seen a pic of it before; will try to locate it again).
Joe P.

The NWA and WCW joined forces and sued the WWF because even though the belt itself was owned by Flair, they felt that by him using it to bill himself as the "Real World champion" on the competition's programming, it was essentially creating confusion in the marketplace (due to it previously being the physical representation of the NWA and/or WCW World title)

The actual cost Flair sold the belt to WCW for was $35,000. If I'm not mistaken, that deal was actually consummated during the Bill Watts era. They had already made plans to bring back the NWA title and wanted to use that belt again. Flair basically told them they could have it as long as they gave him his $25,000 bond money (the NWA never returned it to him after the Big Gold started being used to represent the world title in place of the Dome Globe, which was their own property) plus another $10,000 for accrued interest over the years.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Insane Ninja » 2002/10/01 Tue 11:54 pm

Well, I have to agree with Dan when he says that WWF is purposefully trying to confuse the public (Just look at that episode of Confidential) and the NWA could easily sue them.

What would NWA get? Well, for one, they'd definitely get money. All they have to say is that the WWF claiming the NWA World Title was on their show has hurt their credibility with the fans and, subsequently, caused a decline in business. A good lawyer would be able to turn a decent settlement on this.

But more importantly, the NWA would be able to get a ton of publicity. Can you imagine if the WWF is forced to issue an on-air apology on all their shows for a week, acknowledging their World Title has no relation to the NWA World Title that is only in the NWA? Talk about embarrassing for the WWF. (As you may have noticed, I don't call the WWF the 'WWE'.)
Insane Ninja

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2002/10/04 Fri 10:18 pm

Truly, what should have been done, was for them to actually Create A Brand New Belt, not rehash the NWA/WCW Championship.( as in going to J-Mar or for that Matter, Reggie Parks, you know, pop a few Thousand for the Belt..) Since the NWA belt's lineage does go back over 50 Years, & the current & Real version of the World Title is in Tennesse & controlled by the Jarretts(NWA TNA), the could have Just Made a New WWE World title belt for Raw, like they Strictly made the Former Undisputed World Belt exclusive for SmackDown. It seems like Vince truly does not care or respect Wrestling as a sport , nor the Titles as well.I hope that Inoki sees this, as a lesson , when they crown the NWF champion at the Finals at the end of the year.
M.O.T.T is Ichiban, Mark Knight is the embodiment of Touken Retsuden.
SpirituXBomba

Postby TJ Vermeer » 2002/10/05 Sat 6:47 am

I love the Big Gold belt! I'm glad it's back...

As for the NWF title, I wonder if Inoki is allowed to call it a world title now... ;)
TJ Vermeer

Postby Haiku Warrior » 2002/10/20 Sun 2:55 am

Originally posted by SpirituXBomba
It seems like  Vince truly does not care or respect Wrestling as a sport , nor the Titles as well.

Exactly... look at the European/I-C unification. The pointless Hardcore/I-C unification. And need I mention this ridiculous unification of the (RAW) World Heavyweight Title and Intercontinental?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>~I'm a chatter-box tonight~ </span>
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Kevin Spacey (Usual Suspects)
Haiku Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to World (Wide) Wrestling Federation/Entertainment