Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

possible updates to a few of the Southwest titles..

Post-1990 topics should be posted under "Everything else".

possible updates to a few of the Southwest titles..

Postby cman73 » 2017/08/24 Thu 3:33 pm

Was watching a youtube video of Southwest Championship Wrestling that's dated August 25, 1984, but I think the date is really August 27th, as their tapings were on Monday's. This show had highlights of the big Harlindale Stadium show which was on August 25. In any event, the show started off by introducing the new USA Junior Champion Chicky Starr. Steve Stacks said Chicky won the belt "last night". In my results listings, on 8/26/84 in Weslaco, TX, has Chicky Starr defeating then USA Junior Champion Eric Embry. So, I think the switch occurred then.

Then, for the Southwest Tag Team Titles, Tully Blanchard and Gino Hernandez defeated Ken Lucas and Ricky Morton for the titles on July 30, 1982, in Houston. The highlights were shown on Southwest Championship Wrestling. The date listed on youtube for the TV show was 8/28, but I think it's really August 2, or August 9.

Also, for the Southwest Title, I don't know the actual day, but sometime in August 1979, Dory Funk, Jr. defeated Tully Blanchard for the Southwest Title, in Corpus Christi. One of the shows on youtube dated September 1979, shows the highlights from the match in Corpus.
cman73

Return to Other Regional Territories: pre-1990s