Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Why was the NWA not in Europe?

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

Why was the NWA not in Europe?

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2003/09/16 Tue 11:05 pm

Why was the NWA not in Europe? Until recently, and Hammerlock UK joined, there does not seem to be a promoter in Europe that was a member of the NWA. Why was that?
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2003/09/17 Wed 7:10 am

Dunno about these days, but Europe used to have different rules (rounds, etc.) and different styles.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby edgehead1984 » 2003/09/17 Wed 7:59 am

Wasn't Wanz part of the NWA for awhile??
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Antonia_Inoki » 2003/09/17 Wed 3:03 pm

Basically, a clash of styles and rules, yes. and no, cwa was never an nwa member. There are the rounds, the cards (like in soccer), and the mat-heavy shooting style of Europe (with notable exceptions). not everybody was willing to adapt.
Antonia_Inoki

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/17 Wed 9:40 pm

Before Hammerlock, the NWA had at least one other European member and that was Catch Schober out of Hannover Germany. They're listed on the roll call from the 1979 annual meeting in Las Vegas. Don't know how long they were a member. In the minutes from that meeting, it states that their promoter Edmund Schober asked the NWA to help him out with talent for an annual tournament he holds every year, at which point it is suggested that if he has any particular wrestler in mind to contact their home booking office.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Antonia_Inoki » 2003/09/18 Thu 8:03 am

The Hannover tournament used to be the biggest draw in Germany once, especially when they had gimmick matches and/or foreign talent. I never heard that it was part of the NWA, but it was independent from CWA definitely.

Also, what about "Kaiser" Franz Schumann? I know he is not paying his membership fee now, but wasn't he a regular member once?
Antonia_Inoki

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/18 Thu 1:36 pm

Schumann applied and was accepted, but the last thing I heard was that there was still some paperwork that needed to be sorted out before it was made official. I don't know exactly what happend, but it all broke down for whatever reason and I don't think he ever formally got in, although I believe he continues to (or at least did) promote shows under the banner of "NWA Germany" without the sanction of the Alliance.
Dan Poutsma

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2003/09/18 Thu 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=Antonia_Inoki]Basically, a clash of styles and rules, yes. and no, cwa was never an nwa member. There are the rounds, the cards (like in soccer), and the mat-heavy shooting style of Europe (with notable exceptions). not everybody was willing to adapt.[/QUOTE]

Rounds? cards? what in the blue...? Call me a silly American, but I am 100% lost on that.
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Postby Antonia_Inoki » 2003/09/18 Thu 2:39 pm

in Europe wrestling matches used to be in rounds, like in boxing, with fixed rest periods. i say used to cause now its usually done the american way. in Germany there also was the idea of cards, which was from soccer originally: you didnt get disqualified on the spot if you did something wrong, you were shown a yellow card. if you commited another foul, you were shown the red card and disqualified. MMA events use similar rules, but without the pieces of cardboard. they give you two "opportunities" to mess up, do it a third time, you're out.
Antonia_Inoki

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/18 Thu 4:04 pm

Stampede used to go by the card system. And the AWF that was around in the mid-90s had rounds.
Dan Poutsma

Postby BadNews » 2003/09/18 Thu 4:38 pm

Bruce Hart saw the penalty card system when he was doing shows for Schober. He added a third card, the black card on top of the red. which was ok for america but wouldnt have worked in germany.
'Inflammable means flammable? Oh, what a country!' - Dr. Nick Riveira, The Simpsons
BadNews

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2003/09/18 Thu 5:03 pm

I forgot abut the AWF and the rounds, man, wonder why did that promotion not work?
SuperNaturalX

Postby Peru-Yakuza » 2003/09/19 Fri 9:51 am

[QUOTE=SuperNaturalX]I forgot abut the AWF and the rounds, man, wonder why did that promotion not work?[/QUOTE]

They probably wanted too much too soon with the TV deal (it being on/off impaired them from having a steady flow of cards), plus they were promoting old talent, which isn't my idea of revolutionary.
Although I liked the fact that people who were considered jobbers in major promotions (Scott Putski, Jeff Gaylord, Southern Posse, New SST) had at least a chance...
MÁMENME EL BICHO TODOS LOS FANS DE LA WWE!
Peru-Yakuza

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/09/24 Wed 4:53 pm

[QUOTE=edgehead1984]Wasn't Wanz part of the NWA for awhile??[/QUOTE]

Wanz was a part of the American Wrestling Association. He was the AWA World Champion there for a minute. & when He started promoting cards in Germany for Continental Wrestling Association/Alliance, He Brought Leon Big Van Vader White Over there to work for him.
M.O.T.T is Ichiban, Mark Knight is the embodiment of Touken Retsuden.
SpirituXBomba

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/09/24 Wed 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=SuperNaturalX]I forgot abut the AWF and the rounds, man, wonder why did that promotion not work?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's like boxing under Queen of Box Burry rules or something like that.
M.O.T.T is Ichiban, Mark Knight is the embodiment of Touken Retsuden.
SpirituXBomba

Next

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance