Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Why was the NWA not in Europe?

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/24 Wed 9:26 pm

[QUOTE=SpirituXBomba]Wanz was a part of the American Wrestling Association. He was the AWA World Champion there for a minute. & when He started promoting cards in Germany for Continental Wrestling Association/Alliance, He Brought Leon Big Van Vader White Over there to work for him.[/QUOTE]

He also allegedly paid Verne $50,000 for that stint with the belt too.
Dan Poutsma

Postby BadNews » 2003/09/25 Thu 2:16 pm

Spiritu, the CWA of Europe was Wanz's own organisation and it stood for Catch Wrestling Association. It had nothing to do with Alabama's Continental. Not everything in wrestling descends from America. There used to be an Australian version of World Championship Wrestling long before there was the 'original'.
And I'm not sure if he was an AWA member, did the AWA have such a structure.
'Inflammable means flammable? Oh, what a country!' - Dr. Nick Riveira, The Simpsons
BadNews

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/25 Thu 2:54 pm

Although they claimed to have a membership, the AWA was really nothing more than Verne Gagne's company brand name. Memphis claimed to be a "member" of it at one time, but then again, they claimed to be a member of several different organizations, including the NWA, WWA (Dick The Bruiser's promotion), and the CWA (their own in-house creation).
Dan Poutsma

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/09/25 Thu 5:02 pm

[QUOTE=Dan Poutsma]He also allegedly paid Verne $50,000 for that stint with the belt too.[/QUOTE]

That is true. & that was common during the those days. Plus he did it to give his promotion & himself credebility.
M.O.T.T is Ichiban, Mark Knight is the embodiment of Touken Retsuden.
SpirituXBomba

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/09/25 Thu 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=BadNews]Spiritu, the CWA of Europe was Wanz's own organisation and it stood for Catch Wrestling Association. It had nothing to do with Alabama's Continental. Not everything in wrestling descends from America. There used to be an Australian version of World Championship Wrestling long before there was the 'original'.
And I'm not sure if he was an AWA member, did the AWA have such a structure.[/QUOTE]

Bad news, thanks for the correction.
SpirituXBomba

Postby edgehead1984 » 2003/09/25 Thu 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=Dan Poutsma]He also allegedly paid Verne $50,000 for that stint with the belt too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put it past Gagne, Bockwinkel and Wanz to make such a deal.

Also seeing the way that match ended, with a backdrop, I think this story has credibility.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby BadNews » 2003/09/30 Tue 10:43 am

are we talking about a guarantee here or do u mean Wanz 'bribed' Gagne into giving him the belt?
'Inflammable means flammable? Oh, what a country!' - Dr. Nick Riveira, The Simpsons
BadNews

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/09/30 Tue 11:13 pm

It could've been used as a deposit ala the NWA champ, but who really knows for sure. I wouldn't put anything past Verne. Here's a guy who stiffed just about everybody out of their share of the profits from the SuperClash III PPV, and a man who was willing to put the AWA title on Hulk Hogan insofar as he received a percentage of his earnings in Japan and also allegedly wanted to keep all of the pie with regard to any merchandise he sold. So I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that he accepted bribes and would sell the belt to the highest bidder.
Dan Poutsma

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/10/01 Wed 2:59 pm

[QUOTE=BadNews]are we talking about a guarantee here or do u mean Wanz 'bribed' Gagne into giving him the belt?[/QUOTE]
I think that Wanz truly wanted some credibilty to become a big star. unfortunatly I did not have the honor to see the match. But as political as the Ganges where, they did what they can to compete w/ the same system that The NWA Board of directors used.
SpirituXBomba

Postby SpirituXBomba » 2003/10/01 Wed 3:03 pm

[QUOTE=Dan Poutsma]It could've been used as a deposit ala the NWA champ, but who really knows for sure. I wouldn't put anything past Verne. Here's a guy who stiffed just about everybody out of their share of the profits from the SuperClash III PPV, and a man who was willing to put the AWA title on Hulk Hogan insofar as he received a percentage of his earnings in Japan and also allegedly wanted to keep all of the pie with regard to any merchandise he sold. So I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that he accepted bribes and would sell the belt to the highest bidder.[/QUOTE]

True, but He was also trying to capitalize off of Hogan's Screen success from his cameo apperance in Rocky 3 as well. But when he was asking for a piece Hogan's NJPW earnings, I would like to know which tour was it? Was it before or after Hogan won the IWGP Tournament prior to Hogan sigining w/Mcmahon for the second time in 83?
SpirituXBomba

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/10/01 Wed 7:37 pm

I think it was for the very last tour he did over there before heading off to Titan.
Dan Poutsma

Postby Black_Flag_Of_Ulster » 2003/10/02 Thu 8:37 am

weird how this discussion turned from 'Why was the NWA not in Europe?' to 'What did Hogan do in 1983?'
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" Patrick Marber, Closer
Black_Flag_Of_Ulster

nwa in europe

Postby jimi rotton » 2004/11/17 Wed 10:00 am

i think the irish are joining the fad
jimi rotton

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/11/17 Wed 11:05 am

There are NWA UK and NWA Ireland, but this board is only for pre-1990s topics.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby shanangough » 2004/12/02 Thu 6:42 pm

I don't really think the different rules in the UK would have been the main reason they were never part of the NWA. Here in New Zealand, we were still using rounds in 1972 when Steve Rickard gained membership in the NWA. I'd say the NWA probably just wasn't needed in Europe at the time. From what I've read they were doing great business without it.
shanangough

Previous

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance