Introduction - Symbols
Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
I recently watched a tape of Kerry & David Von Erich vs Karl Krupp & Gene Yates. The show was Southwest Championship Wrestling, but Bronco Lubich was the referee and had an NWA patch on his shirt.
Does anyone know if San Antonio was an NWA member at one time? I'm guessing this match is from the late 70's as both Von Erichs were very young. Also, if anyone else has seen this match, where was it being held? San Antonio? Houston?
Back in the 70s, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston basically all shared the same talent and recognized the same titles, but each had their own TV. This particular match took place from San Antonio sometime in 1978 and was the first show under the Southwest Championship Wrestling banner after changing their name from All Star Wrestling. Also at this time, Dallas (Jack Adkisson) was the only one who was an official NWA member and was more or less considered to be the main office.
A short time after the name change SCW became independant and established their own roster and titles completely separate from Dallas and Houston. Paul Boesch would also eventually follow suit himself after he became disenchanted with Fritz and the NWA in general after world champ Harley Race pulled his second no-show on him (he no showed once several years earlier on a supercard that was to involve all three major champions) and hooked up with SCW and brought in their talent to work his shows. He would later switch allegiances to Bill Watts, and then eventually the WWF in 1987 after becoming incensed when he found out that Watts had sold to Jimmy Crockett without informing him.
Thanks Dan. I think that also clears up a fading memory I had while watching Houston Wrestling back in the early 80's. I remember someone getting hit in the side of the face with a hammer and blood gushing from his ear or side of the face. I thought it happened in Mid-South, but it actually happened in SCW, as it was Terry Funk who was the recipient of the punishment. As Dory Funk was wrestling an SCW match, the announcer made mention of it. Mr. Boesch was still associatied with Joe Blanchard at that time. I think this took place in '81
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that was the year when Boesch severed ties with Fritz and the NWA, started booking his shows through Blanchard, and began recognizing the AWA champ (his good friend and then business associate Nick Bockwinkel) as the world champion.
Another interesting tidbit as it pertains to the relationship between Boesch and Bill Watts. As stated, Bockwinkel was Paul's business associate, owned 11% of the Houston office, and was planning on becoming the promoter there once he retired. He had originally owned 10%, bought an additional 1%, and was planning on buying more (Boesch was willing to sell him up to 70%, retaining the remaining 30% for his nephew Peter Birkholz) until Boesch had a meeting with Watts and ended up bringing him in as a partner. It totally shocked Nick that Paul would do business with Bill because Paul knew what a liar and a backstabber he was, and Bock ended up selling his interest and getting out on account of it.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Copyright © 2003-2017
Puroresu Dojo. All rights reserved. Privacy
Site hosted by Arisu Communications.