Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

NWA World Light Heavyweight Title?

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

NWA World Light Heavyweight Title?

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2004/03/23 Tue 1:35 am

I was told recently, that the NWA BOD started to reconise the NWA World Light Heavyweight Title when Gypsy Joe won it in 1952. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, the same source told me that the BOD dropped reconition after 1958 when EMLL would not listen to them. Does anyone know if this is true?
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/03/23 Tue 9:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SuperNaturalX+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperNaturalX)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was told recently, that the NWA BOD started to reconise the NWA World Light Heavyweight Title when Gypsy Joe won it in 1952. Can anyone confirm this?[/quote]
They were going to but dropped the recognition even though the match to determine the new champ took place.

Also, the same source told me that the BOD dropped reconition after 1958 when EMLL would not listen to them. Does anyone know if this is true?
Not true at all. World Light Heavyweight, controlled by EMLL, was one of only three titles officially recognized by the BOD at least until 85 or 86. Besides, EMLL hosted an annual NWA convention in 71.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby SuperNaturalX » 2004/03/25 Thu 11:46 am

Ok, thank you.
Mark aka SuperNaturalX <br>from the Great State of Tennessee <br>www.supernaturalx.com <br> <br>Pro Wrestling GLOBAL FURY <br>www.globalfury.com
SuperNaturalX

Correction

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2004/05/19 Wed 3:22 pm

I found an article in the May 1953 issue of the NWA Official Wrestling magazine about Gypsy Joe winning the world light heavyweight title. I guess he was recognized as the champion at least for several months. I'm not sure Frank Stojack, who later defeated Joe for the title, was recognized as the champ by the NWA board or not.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance