Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

NWA rulebook

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

NWA rulebook

Postby Grand Stabber » 2003/10/16 Thu 9:21 am

I remember finding a web site where there was a scan of the NWA rulebook (concerning match rules). Do any of you have anything related to that? (The rulebook itself, link to the site I'm talking about, or anything regarding the NWA rules.)

Thanks for any info.

Stabber
Grand Stabber

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/10/16 Thu 8:48 pm

There's a copy of the 1975 rules posted on the Wrestling Classics message board at <a href='http://www.wrestlingclassics.com' target='_blank'>www.wrestlingclassics.com</a>. Go to the search engine and type in "NWA rules" for all open forums. It's under the topic entitled "Rule Enforcement".
Dan Poutsma

Postby Grand Stabber » 2003/10/18 Sat 1:07 pm

Unfortunately, I was not able to find it. If anyone can help...

Stabber
Grand Stabber

Here.....

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/10/18 Sat 5:56 pm

1975 OFFICIAL RULES AS SANCTIONED BY THE NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE

MAJOR RULE CHANGES
The count on the floor is no longer 20, but has been changed to a 10 count. The rule went into effect August 11, 1973. Intentional striking of a referee will result in an automatic disqualification or suspension.

Contestants who repeatedly violate any of the following rules will be disqualified:

1. No hair pulling, eye gouging, strangle holds or biting.
2. No pulling of trunks, masks, or any other equipment.
3. No straight punches or kicks with point of toe.

The following violations are automatic disqualifications:

1. Throwing opponent over top rope.
2. Karate thrusts to the throat.
3. The piledriver hold.
4. Failing to break an illegal hold before the referee's "five count".
5. The use of any foreign object.
6. Any interference with the duties of the referee.
7. Continuing to abuse a defeated opponent.
8. Any interference by managers, seconds, or cornermen.
9. Tag team save rule: automatic disqualification when one team member saves another on any sure pin or submission combination more than once.
10. No intentional punching or kicking in the groin or kidney area.

The following maneuvers are legal:

1. Judo chops, forearm blows, bolo punches, instep and flat of foot kicks.
2. The use of the ropes to gain leverage - contestants may spring against ropes as in tackles and other such maneuvers providing the contact with the rope is mandatory.
3. It is legal to continue wrestling your opponent until he is clearly entangled in ropes and referee calls for the break (wrestlers cautioned to protect themselves on the break).

Contestants will get 10 counts on the apron of the ring and on the floor.

Championships cannot change hands when the victory is gained by disqualification or countout.

In any situation not covered by these rules, the NWA will honor the judgement and discretion of the appointed referee.

NOTICE: MATCHES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE DUE TO CONDITIONS BEYOND CONTROL, SUCH AS INJURIES, ILLNESS, OR ACCIDENT.

REWARD $50.00
FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO THE ARREST AND CONVICTION OF PERSONS THROWING OBJECTS IN THE ARENA DURING WRESTLING MATCHES.
Dan Poutsma

Postby The Franceman » 2003/10/18 Sat 6:39 pm

Well, we can see these rules aren't very respected.

And i didn't know the throwing over the rope is still illegal !
I search any informations (olds or news) in Wrestling in France or Europe.
The Franceman

Postby django » 2003/12/30 Tue 3:19 am

I wonder if they have been updated since that was printed?? that is something that needs to be looked into...
<span style='color:DarkRed'>--Sitting here like a loaded gun im waiting to go off!--</span>
django

Postby jimi rotton » 2004/01/22 Thu 8:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-The Franceman+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Franceman)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, we can see these rules aren't very respected.

And i didn't know the throwing over the rope is still illegal ![/quote]

wcw used that rule in the late 80s & early 90s, the rotton one recommands
you watch the early years.
jimi rotton

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2004/01/23 Fri 2:08 am

Jim Crockett Promotions was part of the NWA and used the over the top rope DQ rule, and after Crockett sold to Turner, WCW continued the practice. They eventually made it "legal" in 1998 to compensate for their ban of the powerbomb after Kevin Nash injured The Giant with it at the Souled Out PPV.
Dan Poutsma

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance