Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Kerry Von Erich NWA Title Defenses...

Including NWAssociation (formerly NBA), the current version of NWA founded by Pinkie George, and other previous versions of NWAlliance, such as Des Moines and Kansas. Topics on regional territories may be moved to more appopriate board.

Kerry Von Erich NWA Title Defenses...

Postby Clint_M » 2002/05/05 Sun 6:52 pm

I found this in the October 1984 Issue of Pro Wrestling Illustrated. It shows his title defense schedule while Kerry was champion. I thought whomever was doing the Complete Listing of NWA Title defense webpage would be interested. It doesn't list the outcomes of the matches though.

May 7 - Terry Gordy - Fort Worth, Texas
May 8 - Ric Flair - Muskogee, Oklahoma (Non-Title)
May 9 - Ric Flair - Corpus Cristi, Texas
May 10 - Missing Link - Allen, Texas (Non-Title)
May 11 - Ric Flair - Dallas, Texas (Non-Title)
May 12 - Ric Flair - San Antonio, Texas
May 13 - Mike Rotundo - Ocala, Florida (Daytime Card)
May 13 - Billy Graham - Orlando, Florida (Nightime Card)
May 14 - Ron Bass - West Palm Beach, Florida
May 15 - Mike Rotundo - Fort, Myers, Florida
May 16 - Billy Graham - Miami, Florida
May 17 - Black Bart - Melbourne, Florida
May 18 - Billy Graham - Lake City, Florida
May 19 - Ron Bass - Tampa, Florida
May 22 - Jumbo Tsuruta - Tokyo, Japan
May 24 - Ric Flair - Yokosuka City, Japan

I know some of these are already listed, I just wanted to put up the entire schedule
Clint_M

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/05/05 Sun 7:07 pm

Im suprised Kerry still went and wrestled in Japan,cause wasnt he only givin the title cause his brother passed away in Japan the day before Kerrys match w/ Flair for the strap or something?
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby Clint_M » 2002/05/05 Sun 7:34 pm

Actually, David passed away a couple months before the match. I think February 10, but I could be wrong.
Clint_M

Postby TDinDC » 2002/05/06 Mon 7:51 am

The plan was for David to beat Flair for the title at that show anyway. When he passed away, Kerry just kind of stepped in. Why did Kerry go to Japan?.........well since wrestling is fake and I think some people forget that sometimes, he did it for the MONEY. Who cares if he only holds the belt for a few days. I wouldn't think the majority of wrestlers care. It's not real life (unless you're Bret Hart). It's all about the Benjamins. It's like Terry Funk said about his title reign. He wanted it for about a year, make as much money as possible, and get rid of the belt. Back in the NWA days, the champion got the big paydays. It was all about (and isn't it always) about making the green.
Greatest 2 Quotes in Wrestling History: <br> <br>"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." -- Jesse Ventura <br> <br>"A friend in need is a pest." -- Bobby Heenan
TDinDC

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/05/06 Mon 8:04 am

Originally posted by TDinDC
The plan was for David to beat Flair for the title at that show anyway.

I recently read that it was only a rumor/myth that David was promised the title. I think more detail is on the WrestlingClassic.com message board.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby TDinDC » 2002/05/06 Mon 8:42 am

Oh, if that's true, I apologize. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Meltzer say it though, that's what I was going off of. Either that, or I saw it asked on 1wrestling. It was one of the 2.

Thanks
Greatest 2 Quotes in Wrestling History: <br> <br>"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." -- Jesse Ventura <br> <br>"A friend in need is a pest." -- Bobby Heenan
TDinDC

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/05/06 Mon 11:45 am

I used to believe that because of Meltzer. Then, some people at WrestlingClassics.com, who claim that wasn't actually the case, admitted that Metlzer started the myth.

It would have been interesting to see David as the champ, though. IMO, he was the best in the family.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/05/06 Mon 4:56 pm

In all likelihood, David would have probably been given a run with the title, but there were absolutely, positively, no promises or guarantees made.

As far as Kerry goes, they had to put the belt on him for two reasons: 1) It was his brother's memorial show and the fans would have been absolutely irate if he didn't go over, and 2) It was the perfect culmination to a storyline that had been going on for close to 20 years (the Von Erichs chasing the gold).
Dan Poutsma

Return to National Wrestling Association/Alliance