Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

World Title History

Pre-1990 topics only.

World Title History

Postby mattitude » 2003/12/30 Tue 1:16 am

Hello,

I have been trying to put together the Linage of the World Title from This site, what I know and others on the web. Can someone take a look at the information below and tell please help me out and let me know were I go wrong

Thanks
Matthew

<span style='font-family:Arial Black'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>World Heavyweight Title Picture
</span></span><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>
Undisputed From January 11th, 19?? – March 14th, 1931

Ed "The Stangler Lewis" Won Title on March 13th, 1931

Looses American Wrestling Association Title on April 4th, 1931

Still Recognized as World Champion in Illinois

Also Defeats World Title Claimant Waladek Zbyszko on November 02nd, 1931

Wins New York State Athletic Association World Title Defeating Jack Sherry on October 10th, 1932

Disputed Branches

New York State Athletic Association as of ???

National Boxing Association/National Wrestling Association as of ????

American Wrestling Association (Boston Version) as of ????

Danno O’Mahoney Unifies The Following Titles

New York State Athletic Association World Title

National Wrestling Association World Title

American Wrestling Association (Boston Version)

Undisputed World Title on July 30th, 1935

When Danno O’Mahoney Defeats American Wrestling Association World Champion Ed Don George in Boston, MA

Disputed Branches

National Wrestling Association as of ????

American Wrestling Association (Boston Version) as of ????

Midwest Wrestling Association as of ????

Los Angeles Version of World Title as of ????

Maryland Version of World Title as of ????

National Wrestling Alliance as of sometime in 1940

Lou Thez Unifies The Following Titles

National Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title on July 20th, 1948

National Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight Title on November 27th, 1949

American Wrestling Association (Boston Version) World Heavyweight Title on July 27th, 1950

Los Angeles Olympic Auditorium World Heavyweight Title on May 21st, 1955

On March 30th, 1955 precedence was set that a title cannot change hands on a disqualification

Undisputed Except in Europe March 22nd, 1955

Disputed Branches

National Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight Title as of ????

Omaha Version of World Heavyweight Title as of ????

Boston Version of World Heavyweight Title as of ????

World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title as of ????

As of This Day there has been no Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion.. but...

The Omaha version of the World Heavyweight Title gets unified with the American Wrestling Association World Title on September 07, 1969

The Boston Version of the World Heavyweight Title under the promotion of Big Time Wrestling closes in 1975

World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title Abandoned in October 1st, 1968 when WWA joins The National Wrestling Alliance until promotion closes in December of 1982 was defended and title changes recognized in Korea on September & November of 2000 & March 25th, 2003 and may or may not be active today

The only title to remain as of March 22nd, 1955 is the National Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title and out of that title the following World Titles Were Born

World Wrestling Entertainment World Heavyweight Title (Smackdown! Version) on February 1st, 1963

World Championship World Heavyweight Title January 1991
World Championship Wrestling International World Heavyweight Title September 1993 later to be unified with the WCW World Heavyweight Title on June 23rd, 1994

Extreme Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Title on August 27th, 1994 when Shane Douglas refused to take the NWA World Title and stated the NWA was dead and held up the ECW World Heavyweight Title

In March of 2001 World Championship Wrestling was Sold to World Wrestling Entertainment and the WCW & WWE World Heavyweight Titles were unified in December of that year to become Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion

Extreme Championship Wrestling Files for bankruptcy in April of 2001 and titles and all assets were in trust after a bankruptcy hearing. Promotion considered closed

In September of 2002 the World Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Title was unified from The World Wrestling Entertainment World Title when Brock Lesnar fails to defend the title on RAW and wrestles exclusively for Smackdown! and the WCW World Heavyweight Title is now used as the World Wrestling Entertainment RAW brand World Heavyweight Champion.

My Confusion is with the following active titles

Universal Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

International Wrestling Council World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

Asistencia Asesoria Y Adminstracion World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

My Confusion is with the Following inactive/closed Titles

American Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Boston Version?)

World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Indianapolis)

World Class Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Texas)

United States Wrestling Association Unified World Heavyweight Title (????)

National Wrestling Federation World Heavyweight Title (Buffalo/Cleavland/Japan)

International Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight Title (Japan)

</span></span>
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2003/12/31 Wed 5:53 pm

[QUOTE=mattitude]World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Indianapolis)[/quote]

Dick The Bruiser had held the WWA World heavyweight title in Los Angeles and started his own organization under the same name in Indianapolis. The promotion shut down in the 1980s.

World Class Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Texas)

American heavyweight champion Rick Rude was recognized as the first "world" champion of The World Class Wrestling Association/World Class Championship Wrestling when they withdrew from the NWA in early 1986 after butting heads with Jim Crockett. The title was "unified" with the AWA World heavyweight title in December 1988 (creating the "Unified World heavyweight title") after Jerry Lawler beat Kerry Von Erich at SuperClash III, and then was dropped a short time later.

United States Wrestling Association Unified World Heavyweight Title (????)

Was created after Lawler beat Von Erich to "unify" the AWA and WCWA/WCCW titles in December 1988. Was once recognized as the "world" title by several different promotions before everybody involved either dropped out or went under with the exception of Lawler and Jerry Jarrett's USWA promotion in Memphis. The title died in the late 90s when the USWA did as a result of legal problems.

National Wrestling Federation World Heavyweight Title (Buffalo/Cleavland/Japan)

The NWF was Pedro Martinez's promotion, who was a member of the NWA once upon a time. It was eventually bought out by Antonio Inoki of New Japan, who took the title over there and that's where it was based out of before it was dropped in the early 80s, although New Japan decided to resurrect it a while back.
Dan Poutsma

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/01/01 Thu 12:52 pm

The Los Angeles version of the world title was unified on May 21st 1952.

Also the AWA Boston version of the title was not unified with the NWA title until 1966.

The NYSAC title was formed in January of 1928.

The National Boxing Association was one of the sanctioning parties during the time and they chose to strip Gus Sonnenburg of the title, which separated themselves from the AWA (Boston) title.

I have no idea what the AWA (Boston) group represented.

The NWAsso title was deunified from the AWA (Boston) on March 2nd 1936.

Also the AWA (Montreal) version of the world title was formed after Yvon Robert was stripped of the AWA (Boston) in December of 1937.

The MWA title was first recognized in 1931.

The Maryland title was a splinter of the former undisputed title, which had passed from O'Mahoney to Shikat to Baba to Levin to Detton to Nagurski. Nagurski was stripped in Maryland for refusing to defend against Jim Londos, but retained the "undisputed" belt.

The LA belt was a offshoot of the NWAssoc belt . Jim Londos was stripped of recognition in LA since he wasn't defending in California.

The MWA belt was abandoned when its last champion, Orville Brown became the first NWA champ in 1947.

The Maryland belt was abandoned when they recognized Thesz sometime between 1949 and 1951.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Antonia_Inoki » 2004/01/03 Sat 2:02 am

My Confusion is with the following active titles

Universal Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

International Wrestling Council World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

Asistencia Asesoria Y Adminstracion World Heavyweight Title (Mexico)

CMLL world title created by emll in 1991. for it a council created, to have another name on the belt. (like PWF in All-japan). also CMLL sounds little like CMB, the spanish name for the WBC. i think they were trying to get this effect. i also heard once that the title was created because the nwa title was vacant (emll was a nwa member) but i think the date is wrong.

AAA world title is not active. konnan dropped it to join the wcw. both titles was created by AAA after the parting from emll. iwc is a joke at cmll i think. emll created the cmll in 91. after the split (92) cien caras dropped cmll belt and won the iwc belt. it looks like aaa wanted to make fans think of a the champion coming to the new promotion, even the titles sound alike. aaa also had a third heavyweight title but i cannot remember if it was a world title.

UWA is the oldest mexican world title. it was held by many greats, Perro Aguayo, Dos Caras, Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu, Vader and of course El Canek. Lou Thesz was the first champion and gave the title the status.

I do not know much of WWa but it was defended after the promotion did close. it was held by mil mascaras and his brother dos caras, also by cien caras, cibernetico, rayo de jalisco jr. and perro aguayo and others.
Antonia_Inoki

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2004/01/03 Sat 2:51 am

[QUOTE=Antonia_Inoki]CMLL world title created by emll in 1991. for it a council created, to have another name on the belt. (like PWF in All-japan). also CMLL sounds little like CMB, the spanish name for the WBC. i think they were trying to get this effect. i also heard once that the title was created because the nwa title was vacant (emll was a nwa member) but i think the date is wrong.
[/QUOTE]

The date is off. Konnan became the first CMLL World champion in June 1991, while Flair wasn't stripped of the NWA World title until September.

Besides, I think EMLL was already out of the NWA by 1985. I have two official membership listings put out by the NWA for the 85-86 period. The first is dated as of 2-1-85, while the second seems to be a revised version and is just labled 1985-86. EMLL (as Nueva Arena Mexico, S.A.) is on the former, but not on the latter. Same goes for K.E. Wrestling Promotions (Gene Kiniski).
Dan Poutsma

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/01/03 Sat 10:29 am

the NWA, Boston, Omaha and WWALA titles are all disputed from a match on June 14th 1957 where Thesz was injured during a match with Édouard Carpentier. I don't believe Carpentier was recognized in LA until 1961.

The Omaha version of the title was unified on September 7th, 1963.

The IWE title was formed in Japan in 1968, it has no links to any other titles, it was created to help the newly formed organization, which was a renegade from the dominant JWA.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2004/01/03 Sat 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=edgehead1984]the NWA, Boston, Omaha and WWALA titles are all disputed from a match on June 14th 1957 where Thesz was injured during a match with Édouard Carpentier. I don't believe Carpentier was recognized in LA until 1961.[/QUOTE]

Fwiw, Carpentier was initially recognized as the world champion by the NWA after beating Thesz. However, history wound up being rewritten after Ed's promoter Eddie Quinn severed ties with the Alliance because he was upset that Sam had allowed Jack Pfefer into the fold. In a letter to Muchnick, he even states that he'll get the U.S. Justice Department and the St. Louis Police involved if he doesn't return Ed's $10,000 deposit within ten days.

Also, as far as the LA version of the World title goes, Carpentier actually lost it in 1961 to Fred Blassie.
Dan Poutsma

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General