Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

"Unified" belts for secondary titles- i dont agree

Pre-1990 topics only.

Postby edgehead1984 » 2004/06/18 Fri 9:17 pm

look at the time of all the posts before mine and you'll see that they were before said unification.
Fear the Spear... <br> <br><a href='http://www.freewebtown.com/edgehead1984/1979.doc' target='_blank'>My Media List</a>
edgehead1984

Unified Titles in the WWF/WWE

Postby mattitude » 2004/10/04 Mon 7:42 pm

Hello,

I do know of more unified titles

Nov 12, 1971
The WWF International Tags and the Current WWF/WWE World Tags Were Unfiied

Nov 18, 2001
The WCW United States Title were Unified Into the WWF/WWE IC Title
The WCW World Tag Titles were Unified Into the WWF/WWE RAW World Tags
Both Titles Were Solidified when Team WWF Beat Team ECW/WCW

December 09, 2001
Unification of the WCW Title (RAW Belt) into the WWF/WWE Title (Smackdown! Belt)

Day After Vengance 2002
The Unification of the WWF/WWE European title Into WWF/WWE IC Title

August 19, 2002 - Battle Royal of all Former Hard Core Champions to remove the 24/7 rule.. winner the new offical hard core champion

August 26, 2002
Unification of the WWF/WWE Hard Core Into The WWF/WWE IC Title

September 02, 2002
Eric Bischoff Awards Triple H The Former WCW Belt as the New RAW World Heavyweight Champion.. Later Vince would have is own version with the WWE Logo on it

October 20, 2002
The WWF/WWE IC title Unified Into the RAW World Heavyweight Title
The Smackdown Version of the Tag Belts called WWE Tag Team Titles Tournament Final was fought.

Judgment Day 2003
A Battle Royal for the Revivied/Unified WWF/WWE IC Title

June 19, 2003 (My Birthday)
Stephanie Announces the Revival/Unification of the US Title. Tournament Final to be fought at Vengence 2003

That is all I know of does anyone know of anymore?
mattitude

Postby stunning_grover » 2004/12/05 Sun 2:13 pm

Nov 12, 1971

This only lasted until Dec 6, 1971 though. But it was still a unification indeed. :P
stunning_grover

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/05 Wed 8:10 pm

What became of the WCW & WWWF U.S. tag team title? Also I agree with unifing similar titles such as the IWGP Jr. heavyweight tag title with the WCW Cruiserweight tag titles but an undisputed TV champion would be silly.
One to Remember

Postby mattitude » 2005/01/08 Sat 12:59 am

In answer to your question what became of the WWWF & WCW US tag titles.. one word comes to mind Abandond.. but I am wating for wwe.com's title history to change that and tell us different.. I am upset that vince has put the WCW light heaveweight title as part of the WCW/WWF/WWE cruserweight history when they were to seperate titles.

So in answer to your question they were both abandond

WCW Replaced them with the World tags that were run the same time as the WCW US Tags

Vince replaced them with International Tags which were replaced with The World Tag Titles (run on raw)

Hope this helps
Matthew
mattitude

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/08 Sat 4:19 pm

The WCW U.S. tag title was dropped because A) coupled with the impending return of the NWA singles and tag titles, the sentiment was that the promotion had too many championships and B) they meant virtually nothing by that point anyway. When you've got a team like Dick Slater and The Barbarian as the champions, you know you've hit rock bottom.
Dan Poutsma

Postby One to Remember » 2005/01/10 Mon 7:13 pm

PWI ALMANAC and these boards and the Wrestling infom. Archive confuse me about the WWWF U.S. tag team titles. PWI claims the lineage is directly connected with the World tag belts. The Archives is claiming the NWA Northeast tag/WWWF/WWF U.S., International, and World tag team titles are all different. Are you saying Dan that the U.S. and International tag titles are the same with a change in title?
Mattitude are you saying the WCW U.S. tag team titles were the actual World tag title or the for runner?
One to Remember

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2005/01/10 Mon 7:49 pm

One to Remember wrote:PWI ALMANAC and these boards and the Wrestling infom. Archive confuse me about the WWWF U.S. tag team titles. PWI claims the lineage is directly connected with the World tag belts. The Archives is claiming the NWA Northeast tag/WWWF/WWF U.S., International, and World tag team titles are all different. Are you saying Dan that the U.S. and International tag titles are the same with a change in title?
Mattitude are you saying the WCW U.S. tag team titles were the actual World tag title or the for runner?

The U.S, International, and WWF World tag titles are all different.

The JCP based NWA World tag title was established in 1975. In 1988, JCP sold to TBS and the titleholders eventually began being called the WCW World tag team champions by 1991. The NWA World tag title was brought back by WCW in 1992 after they expressed interest in using the name again and the championship was unified with the WCW title immediately. In September 1993, WCW withdrew from the NWA and the NWA tag belts were subsequently dropped.

The U.S. tag team title started in 1986, sort of. In 1985, JCP absorbed Championship Wrestling from Georgia and assumed control over their titles, including the National tag team title. In early 1986 the title was deemed inactive, but was brought back later in the year as the U.S. tag team title. According to the announcers, it was the National tag title under a different name.
Dan Poutsma

Postby mattitude » 2005/01/10 Mon 9:53 pm

Hey Dan,

I am really impressed with your knowledge of the Championships.. way to go.. I look forward to reading your posts..

Thanks Again
Matthew (Mattitude)
mattitude

Previous

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General