Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter MySpace

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Title Changes That Didn't Happen

Pre-1990 topics only.

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/04/16 Tue 10:35 pm

I thought the first IC Champ was Pat Patterson when he won the tournament in Rio de Janero, Brazil
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby TDinDC » 2002/04/17 Wed 11:26 am

Patterson won a tournament that never really happened. The WWF just gave him the title, and said there was a tournament.
Greatest 2 Quotes in Wrestling History: <br> <br>"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." -- Jesse Ventura <br> <br>"A friend in need is a pest." -- Bobby Heenan
TDinDC

Postby dugong2100 » 2002/04/17 Wed 5:59 pm

the wwf doesnt recognize many of the untelevised hardcore title changes that have happened over the last few years
dugong2100

Postby Americancyco » 2002/04/18 Thu 10:16 am

The WWF does recognize the hardcore title changes at house shows. A few issues back the WWF listed every person who held the title, how mnay times they held it and longest reign. I compared this to all the title changes at houses and it matched perfectly.

They might not announce them on TV but they do count them
And you see me with a smile on my face <br>And you know I'm a mental case
Americancyco

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/04/18 Thu 12:08 pm

A few years back on a friday or saturday before a PPV Edge supposedly won the IC title from Jeff Jarrett at a House Show in Toronto, and then lost it back to Double J a day or 2 later at the PPV. Does anyone know if this title change actually took place?
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby TDinDC » 2002/04/18 Thu 12:57 pm

Yes, it definitely happened. It happened in Toronto the night before Fully Loaded 1999 in Buffalo, NY. I'm not sure why it happened, but I know it wasn't some kind of mistake, as opposed to instances such as Hogan beating Inoki, or M.O.M. winning the tag titles from the Quebecers in Europe. I think they might have done it though b/c Toronto is Edge's home town.
Greatest 2 Quotes in Wrestling History: <br> <br>"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." -- Jesse Ventura <br> <br>"A friend in need is a pest." -- Bobby Heenan
TDinDC

Postby Tradewynd » 2002/04/18 Thu 1:34 pm

As I understood it the title channge was scheduled for the PPV, but Edge asked if he could win it at the house show in Toronto instead(he had a clause in his deal that guanteed him an IC Title reign). He was going to win at the PPV and lose it back to Jarrett on Raw but instead won it at the house show and lost it to Jarrett at the PPV. They also had a stream of the match on WWF.com to prove that it really happened. I also remember JR saying something about him not really being the IC Champ since it didn't happen on TV. And I thought WCW aka "Goldberg can lose 10 matches at house shows but still be undefeated on TV" was the only company that worked that way. Speaking of which, anyone know if Goldberg ever lost the WCW US or World Title before losing to Nash at Starrcade? That would be a cool phantom change(and something I would pay big bucks to see too:)
New Avatar. New Attitude. After being gone for more than a year I have but nine words of wisdom to impart on you. I AM MONSTA! 3...2...1 HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!!:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Tradewynd

Postby Americancyco » 2002/04/18 Thu 11:45 pm

M.O.M. won the WWF tag titles by mistake? Could you please explain, because this is the first I ever heard of this.
I figured they just the switch in England to make the British fans happy.
And you see me with a smile on my face <br>And you know I'm a mental case
Americancyco

Postby dugong2100 » 2002/04/19 Fri 1:18 am

it seems like the wwf announcers have selective memories. i remember recently them referring to raven as a 4-time hardcore champion when hes won it about as many times as crash. also, the wwftitlehistory.com website has innaccuracies all over the place
dugong2100

Postby OldSchoolFan » 2002/04/19 Fri 1:34 am

The Edge IC title reign where we won it on a house show WAS accknoledged on the ppv. And the way it happened was they were getting ready to go through the curtain before the match and Lanza asked what the finish to their ppv match was and it was for Jarret to retian at the PPV so Lanza said for them to have Edge to win at the house show in Toronto. Everyone in the company was fine with it.
OldSchoolFan

MOM

Postby Hijo de Carlos » 2002/04/19 Fri 2:59 am

I read that the Quebecers were meant to retain the belts over here in the UK but that Pierre did not kick out of a pinfall attempt fast enough (possibly because he failed to hear the first slap of the ref's hand) and they had no choice but to go with it.
Like comics? Then check out http://www.1000AD.tk
Hijo de Carlos

Postby Luds » 2002/04/19 Fri 7:14 am

Well, the MOM situation is pretty funny! But I guess that this kind of situation can happen to anyone, if the ref doesn't hit the ring hard enough... That kind of explains why they tap SO DARN hard!
<span style='color:red'>Want good Puroresu Tapes?</span>
<br><a href='http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes</a>
<br><span style='color:darkblue'>Luds :Þ</span>
Luds

Postby TDinDC » 2002/04/19 Fri 9:04 am

yeah, stuff like that happens when you have a 550 pound slob convering you. The girth drowns out the sound of the ref! That title change definitely was not planned. They never acknowledged that one on TV.
TDinDC

MOM Title win

Postby phil » 2002/04/19 Fri 4:50 pm

Actually the wwf does recognize the men on a mision title win because on wwftitlehistory.com they are lsited as former title holders. that and I remember eithe rat WM10 or on a wwf tv show that aired two weeks after Wrestlemania them achkowledging the title win.
phil

Postby Colin Douglas » 2002/04/19 Fri 9:07 pm

Originally posted by Tradewynd
As I understood it the title channge was scheduled for the PPV, but Edge asked if he could win it at the house show in Toronto instead(he had a clause in his deal that guanteed him an IC Title reign).

Ok I remember when I first broke in in 97 working shows with Edge when he was Sexton Hardcastle. There is no way a new signee right from the indy scene has the stroke to guarantee a title reign on his contract.
The name of the game is wrestling!
Colin Douglas

PreviousNext

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General