not sure where to put this

Pre-1990 topics only.

not sure where to put this

Postby wrestleman » 2009/01/05 Mon 8:26 pm

why did the AWA and CWA split?
wrestleman

Re: not sure where to put this

Postby stunning_grover » 2009/01/08 Thu 6:17 pm

There were some controversies after the AWA SuperClash III show. The AWA, WCCW and CWA titles were unified when Jerry Lawler defeated Kerry Von Erich. But the AWA SuperClash III show was not a financial success. And the numbers of the attendance and PPV buy-rate that the AWA told the WCCW and CWA were different to those they told the general public. This caused the WCCW and CWA to accuse the AWA of lying. WCCW ended up being bought out by Jerry Lawler and Jerry Jarrett and they merged it with the CWA to form the USWA. The AWA eventually went out of business.
stunning_grover

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2009/01/13 Tue 5:38 am

I believe Jarrett actually bought into World Class sometime before the PPV, hence the promotion's affiliation with the AWA and CWA.

The CWA title was not involved in the unification. Verne basically stiffed everybody on the pay and Lawler in particular decided he wasn't going to wrestle for the AWA anymore until Gagne paid him. The AWA eventually recognized the fact that he wasn't going to appear for them and decided to strip him of the title and held a battle royal to crown a new champion. Lawler refused to return the belt until Verne sent him his paycheck for the PPV, so they ended up having a new belt made instead. In the meantime, they used the AWA International TV belt until the new World strap (identical to the original) was finished.

Later on, when Eddie "Snowman "Crawford became the USWA Unified World Champion (created after the unification of the AWA and WCCW titles) and left Memphis with the Unified belt, Lawler brought the original AWA belt that he kept back into circulation to represent the Unified title.
Dan Poutsma

Postby stunning_grover » 2009/01/15 Thu 8:57 pm

Thanks for information.

Dan Poutsma wrote:I believe Jarrett actually bought into World Class sometime before the PPV, hence the promotion's affiliation with the AWA and CWA.

I believe WCCW was sold to Jarrett after the PPV.

Dan Poutsma wrote:The CWA title was not involved in the unification.

You're right. Sorry, my mistake.
stunning_grover

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General