Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Most Important title today

Pre-1990 topics only.

Postby Yoshimitsu » 2002/09/01 Sun 2:58 pm

WWE world title is the only title in America that means anything. Hopefully the IC belt will find it's once glory from the days of Shawn Michaels.
You don't make up for your sins in church, you do it on the streets.
Yoshimitsu

IC Title

Postby necrosis215 » 2002/09/01 Sun 3:34 pm

The IC Title has pretty much always had a good lineage. With great champions (excluding a couple). Of course, all the quick changes do sully the title a little, but I still think that, in the right hands, the title could once again mean a lot. RVD is only an acrobat IMO, people like Regal and Guerrero - you know the ones that can WRESTLE, are needed to give the belt some meaning again.

necrosis215
necrosis215

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/05 Thu 7:28 am

Perhaps now I should re-do the poll and include the Raw World title. Can't see it getting many votes though
JustS2pendous

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/06 Fri 3:53 pm

Can someone please explain how the RAW title came about? Is it just the WCW belt under a differant name, or an entireley new belt, or what?
ElGringo

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/06 Fri 3:59 pm

Personally, I think the Triple Crown is the most prestigous belt today. It combines three ofthe most important and coveted titles in Japan (including the NWA International Heavyweight Belt; that belt is the stuff of legend), and the belts each represent a different part of Puroresu's history. As a unified title, that belt has never had a bad champion (not even Mutoh; it's not his fault he got given bad challengers by New Japan; I was majorly annoyed when they tried to devalue that belt by placing it below their own belt). Each wrestler who wrestles for that belt knows they have earned it, paid their dues and been exceptional. Every champion who's lifted that belt has been proud to go near it, let alone challenge for it. That belt inspires emotions in those who compete for it which I believe are not staged, even if the matches are. That belt is the physical representation of everything Giant Baba and All Japan, and King's Road, stand for.
ElGringo

Postby Dan Poutsma » 2002/09/06 Fri 5:50 pm

Originally posted by ElGringo
Can someone please explain how the RAW title came about? Is it just the WCW belt under a differant name, or an entireley new belt, or what?

Two Mondays ago on RAW, Triple H beat The Undertaker to become the #1 contender for Brock Lesnar's title. Afterwards, Stephanie told Bischoff that Brock and the title were now the exclusive property of SmackDown!. As such, the championship would no longer be defended on RAW (which nullified the result of the Triple H-Undertaker match) and she held her own little gauntlet tournament on SmackDown! to determine a new #1 contender. The eventual winner ended up being 'Taker, who jumped from RAW.

This past Monday, Bischoff came out at the beginning of the show and announced that as far as RAW was concerned, Brock was no longer the "Undisputed" champion. He then called out Triple H, awarded him Big Goldy (the old WCW belt) and proclaimed him the "World champion".

Whether this signifies the "un-unification" of the two titles that were combined to form the "Undisputed" championship (WWF/E and "World" titles), or whether it should be considered a whole new title continues to be debated. For what it's worth though, Jim Ross did mention the names of Jack Brisco, Harley Race, and Dusty Rhodes in reference to it on RAW, which leads me to believe that they're considering it as part of the WCW lineage, and in the process, continuing their false propaganda that it and the NWA title are one and the same thing.
Dan Poutsma

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/09/08 Sun 12:57 pm

I cant Believe there were actually 2 votes for the WWE Intercontinental/US/Euro/Georgia/National/Hardcore Title...did someone click the wrong button??
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/08 Sun 4:29 pm

Just a quick question for Roaring. Why do you list the belts in this order: IC/US/Euro/National/Georgia/Hardcore?

I believe that the European belt, as a belt representing a continent and not just a nation, should go first.
ElGringo

Postby RoaringElbow25 » 2002/09/09 Mon 9:03 am

I dont think it matters,jerk ***, your just trying to start trouble
"Man, this Kane is a monster. A One-Eyed Monster." <br>-Jim Ross, Unforgiven 1998
RoaringElbow25

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2002/09/09 Mon 10:24 am

...What?
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby ElGringo » 2002/09/09 Mon 11:53 am

Look, just asking. Honestly, there's no intention to start trouble. I guess that the WCW US belt was more prestigous in is day than the WWF European belt, but so was the NWA National Title way back when. I honestly believe that a belt representing a continent should go first, then belts representing nations, and then regions (so for me, it would go IC/Euro/US/National/Georgia/Hardcore. Unless of course you count the hardcore title as a world belt.

I know you don't like all this fuss about names of belts Raoring, but, I like these things, and I like titles that represent a champion of certain areas, it makes wrestling seem more like a real sport.
ElGringo

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/09/11 Wed 9:04 am

I was one of the people that voted for th IC Title Roaring! Which belt did you vote for? If you don't mind me asking that is.
Carter Jay

Postby JustS2pendous » 2002/09/12 Thu 6:00 am

I don't care how many titles they senslessly stick to the Intercontinetal title, I lost interest and respect for the strap when A; they changed it to the dodgy belt they've got now and B; Chyna. Twice!
JustS2pendous

Postby Carter Jay » 2002/09/12 Thu 6:26 am

I admit it has lost it's credibility! due to the fact's you've listed Champ, I guess for me, When I think of the IC title I think of Randy Savage V's Ricky Steamboat, I think of Mr Perfect's two reigns as the IC Champ. Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals, Jeff Jarrett, Scott Hall (as Razor) The IC title has had lows in the past such as Ricky dropping to Honky Tonk Man, Honky looooooonnnnng reign as the champ, then the unbelievable squash by the ultimate chump! I still firmly believe that the IC is a worth while and prestigous title to hold and live in hope that someone on the WWE board realises that and give's the title the time and effort it deserves! Oh and change the belt guys the Classic interconinental heavyweight champoinship belt looks fantastic! If it's not broke why fix it!?!?!?
Carter Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Pro-Wrestling History: General