Introduction - Symbols
Facebook twitter

Home > Wrestling History Message Forums

Canadian Open Tag Title & World Women's Title Questions

The Minneapolis-based promotion headed by Verne Gagne.

Canadian Open Tag Title & World Women's Title Questions

Postby Bushinyou » 2006/12/04 Mon 1:01 pm

Does anyone have any information about the Canadian Open Tag Team title? I've come across some 1960's results that show a listing for this title, but have not been able to find a title history for it. It seems to have only been defended in Winnipeg.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

4/13/63 St. Paul, MN @ Armory
Hercules Cortez beat Bulldog Lee Henning
Crusher beat Larry Hennig 10:10
Bearcat Wright beat Texas Bob Geigel
Kay Noble beat Kathy Starr to win the womans world title (vacated by June Byers)
Jessica Rogers beat Mars Monroe
Att: 1,824

Penny Banner is listed as AWA World Women's champion from 1961-1964. However, I have seen a listing in clawmaster's AWA results from that time period that lists June Byers as champion. Of course, Byers held a claim to the World Women's title (an NWA version, perhaps?) at the time of this card, but she is listed has having vacated that claim in 1964.

And then there is this particular result that has Kay Noble winning the title in April 1963.

The odd thing is that I have seen absolutely ZERO of Penny Banner in the AWA results from 1961-1963, yet have seen several matches involving June Byers. Why is Banner given recognition as a former AWA World Women's champion and Byers is not, considering both were laying claim (I assume to the NWA World Women's title) as champion?
Bushinyou

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/12/04 Mon 1:59 pm

It was a short-lived title.

AWA Canadian Open Tag Team Title
Ilio DiPaolo & Joe Scarpello 62/06/28 Winnipeg, MB
* Defeat Mr. M (Bill Miller) & Bob Geigel to become
first champions.
Bill Miller & Bob Geigel 62/07/20 Winnipeg, MB
* Vacant
Mitsu Arakawa & Kinji Shibuya 63/06/22 Winnipeg, MB

Could you provide the source of the results from St. Paul? Interesting to know about Kay Noble holding the title.

Penny Banner as AWA champ is listed on the "Wrestling Title Histories" book. However, the tournament took place in Indiana, and I wonder if Gagne really promoted there during that time (later, he had a working relationship with Bruiser's WWA).

Another thing I realized is that Balk Estes promoted in Indiana between 59 and 64 under "American Wrestling Alliance" umbrella. It is very possible that Benner's title was recognized by this group (Alliance) rather than Gagne's "Association".
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Bushinyou » 2006/12/04 Mon 2:55 pm

Most all of the AWA results I have came from clawmaster (James Zordani).

If I'm not mistaken, the Canadian Open Tag Team title is not listed in Wrestling Title Histories, Volume #4. I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I assume that's the case. Where did you find that title history, Hisa?

From what I can tell, Verne was nowhere near Indiana at the time. He was promoting cards in Omaha, Winnipeg, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and did shows in certain towns in Minnesota and North Dakota, and on a very rare occasion in Wisconsin.

I would be willing to bet that you are right about Banner actually being champion for the Balk Estes AWA promotion instead of Verne's AWA.

Also, I've seen Banner as winning a tournament and also winning a battle royal to become champion. I'm not sure which is accurate.

Here is the card I have with Byers defending a World Women's title on one of Gagne's AWA card:

3/17/62 St. Paul, MN
Referee: Larry Hennig
AWA Champion Mr. M beat Verne Gagne dq
Doug Gilbert & Pat O'Connor beat Roy Collins & Stan Kowalski
June Byers (c) beat Barbara Baker
Nikita Kalmikoff beat Duke Hoffman
Att: 9,457
Bushinyou

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/12/04 Mon 6:31 pm

Bushinyou wrote:Most all of the AWA results I have came from clawmaster (James Zordani).

Ooops, you said it in your original post. Sorry 'bout dat.

If I'm not mistaken, the Canadian Open Tag Team title is not listed in Wrestling Title Histories, Volume #4. I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I assume that's the case. Where did you find that title history, Hisa?

It's in the Winnipeg section of the book. Easy to miss.

You may also wanna visit Banner's website's "Career" page. I'm not sure how accurate it is as it seems to be somewhat 'fabed.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/12/09 Sat 11:05 am

This is the answer to the question.

Will Morrisey wrote:Don't know if this is relevant or even remotely interesting, but I spent some time in Angola, Indiana looking up results in the local paper. The venue was Captain Carl's Buck Lake Ranch, a popular campground. The first cards were Pfefer events in 1949, featuring Rogers, The Zebra Kid, and the rest of the Toledo-based gang. June Byers also performed there that year, wrestling Theresa Theis on the same card with Dave Levin and other notables. Pfefer was gone, by the following year, with Kohler wrestlers. Balk Estes wrestled there in 1953, as did Lou Thesz [vs. Sonny Myers]. There was a Rocca-Sheik match in 1954.

In 1960 Penny Banner appeared in a couple of matches, including one against world's champ Byers on July 30. In September O'Connor wrestled Dick the Bruiser for the NWA title.

The 1961 card that we're talking about was on August 26. It was billed as June Byers vs. Penny Banner for the NWA World Women's Championship. There were also two tag matches billed: Babs Wingo and Lulu Mae Provo vs. Ethel Johnson and Romana Estelle [= Isbell?] and Lola La Ray and May Hillis vs. LaChona LeClair and Elaine Ellis.

Byers no-showed. According to Banner's account in her book, the actual lineup that night included Therese Theis and Donna Wimbley. The booker, Balk Estes, consulted with Jim Barnett in Indianapolis; they re-staged the show as a tounrnament for the AMERICAN Wrestling Association Women's Title. The first event was a battle royal; the order of elimination from trhe battle royal then determined the tournament matchups in three matches. The winners of those three matches were Banner, Wimbley, and Theis. After eliminating Wimbley, Banner defeated Theis for the championship, according to Penny's account. There's no independent confirmation of much of this, because the local paper, The Steuben Republican, published no results. It did publish this pre-match press release:

"An all girls wrestling show, with ten girls, will be held at Buck Lake Ranch on Saturday, August 26. The main event for the lady's world title will feature the one and only June Byers against the glamour girl, Penny Banner, the leading challenger, who is No. 1 for June Byers' title, and at a recent match, Penny almost toppled the crown from June's head, as she is anxious to wear the beautiful diamond studded belt emblematic to the world's championship in women's wrestling, now possessed by June Byers. There'll also be a colored girls tag team match, a sensational riot, between Babs Wingo and Lulu Mae Provo against Ethel Johnson and Ramonna Esbelle. The four whit girls tag team match will be between Lola LaRay and Mary Hillis angains LaChona LeClair and Elain Ellis. the four colored girls and the four white girls will be in a wrestle royal with the two finalist wrestling a one fall to a finish match, and this will be the most sensational girls show in the history of professional wrestling. This will be the first time an all girls wrestling show has ever been presented in the tri-state area.

"Those attending are urged to come early for good seats. Gates will be open at 4:30 in the afternoon and the Ranch House restaurant will be open to serve early dinners. In case of inclement weather the match will be held indoors at the Wigwam."

Run-on sentences, no extra charge. The "outdoor theater" had 4,000 seats. The Ranch also featured country musicians.

The following year, Chicago-based wrestlers were used: Poffo, Cholak, Goelz and Gilbert.
Hisaharu Tanabe

Postby clawmaster64 » 2006/12/10 Sun 3:56 am

The source for the St. Paul card is Glenn Helwig aka researcher justahamandegger. You can see the original research on the KM board. Just click the following link.

http://www.infinitecore.com/superstar/index.php?threadid=35580&page=0#post_270358
clawmaster64

Postby Hisaharu Tanabe » 2006/12/14 Thu 4:42 pm

Your continous contributions are appreciated.

I modified the listings accordingly.

American Wrestling Alliance

American Wrestling Association
Hisaharu Tanabe

Return to American Wrestling Association